38: One Last Lick

Wei Wuxian woke up trembling as usual. Wincing at the torment of his core-less chest and bleeding body, he shook himself sideways to wake himself up properly. I guess the time's right. A-Zhan would have gotten the flowers by now. And Fairy must be nearby. Let's give this a try, he nodded to himself. Straining his ears to check that nobody was near the cell, he blew a sharp, spooky whistle. Three notes pitched high, and three figures formed at each other corner of the cell. Once they had transformed, Wei Wuxian shut his mouth and smiled at them. "Good to see you all again."

"MASTER!" Xiao Xiang ran to his side to try and help him up.

"Xiangxiang, no. Let LanGui do it."

The Blue Brawler walked forth and tore off the chains tied all around Wei Wuxian. Xiao Xiang then lifted him up. "Master, what happened?"

"Lots of things, Xiangxiang. Lots of things."

"Master," Hei'An grumbled. "Why am I not sensing the usual powerful energy from you?"

"Ah, I have no core now, that must be why."

"WHAT!" All three shouted. "Master!"

"Tch, no need of shouting now. What's gone is gone."

"But what happened?"

"Ah, nothing much. Just that Nie Jiuyue seems to have lost his core long ago in a fight with Wen Zhuliu. So he was able to practise demonic cultivation. But he wanted to be stronger so he took my core."

"How DARE he?" The whole cell filled up with blackness as Hei'An growled and fumed.

"Hei'An, come down. I'm alive, right? At least he didn't kill me."

"Master, isn't he going to be too much of a threat now?" Xiao Xiang frowned.

"Not much, I cracked my core before he could absorb it so it won't be of much use–"

"YOU WHAT?" Xiao Xiang almost dropped him from her arms.

"Tch, stop screaming in my ear, will you?"

"But Master! This is... Why?"

"I can't let him win! He'll be less dangerous with a damaged core, might even kill himself if he exerts himself too much–"

"But–!"

"Look, let's focus on what's at hand, alright? How's the situation outside?"

"The battle's begun."

"What? Then let's go! Where's my Chenqing? Did they bring it?"

"Yes, it's with Sect Leader Jiang."

"Right, and where's A-Zhan?"

"Second Young Master Lan is fighting at the forefront."

"Then let's go. Fast!" He added when the three scowled reluctantly at him. "Look, you guys have to let me do this."

"Fine. But don't you think it'll be better if you transform?"

"It will. But I'll call on every last corpse and demon who'll listen to me first."

The three nodded and helped him to walk to the door.

"Actually, I think I'll do it from here. Once everyone's entered the battle, Xiangxiang, can you take me to the lake nearby with your red shawl?"

"Yes, Master."

"Then let's do this." Wei Wuxian stepped away from the door and called out to his spiritual flute. "Chenqing!"