Chapter 3

Two days until the coronation. These weeks I have been being trained both physically and mentally. Roan is the one who spends most of his time with me. He is in charge of teaching me trig and learning about the clans, their cultures and their history. As for my physical training, we both do it together, but we are taught by a young woman named Ritha. The markings that indicate that she belongs to the Azgueda clan protrude from her skin, combined with her many scars that cover her face make her look terrifying. In fact, the first day I saw her, I screamed very loudly.

Zarah comes to see us rarely. Despite the fact that she is very busy, she sees us once a day, even for a short time. She was the one who convinced me to train with Ritha, who I'm sure hates me. Today we find ourselves in one of those rare days where Zarah oversees our physical training. It is my first lesson using a bow. Ritha explains the theory to me, since Roan has used one before. When she's finished, she gives me a smaller one than hers, the perfect size for me, and tells me to try it, to see how terrible I am. What a good way to raise my self-esteem.

I turned to Zarah, not very convinced. She smiles at me and nods her head, giving me the confidence to do so. I keep doubting and she gets closer.

"What's wrong little one?" She asks in a sweet and patient voice. Ritha rolls her eyes and heads to Roan, so the training doesn't stop for me.

"And what if I hurt someone?" I ask, scared.

She laughs a little. "You won't. Come on, try it once."

I sigh and turn to the targets. Ritha mentioned that they are not as far away as they should be, but they seem miles away to me. I position the bow and carry an arrow. I try to aim my best, trying to remember everything Ritha told me a few moments ago. Zarah places her hand on my shoulder, giving me mute support. I take a breath and prepare to release the rope. I release the contained air, at the same time that I release the bowstring, firing the arrow. Everything seems to go in slow motion. The arrow begins to advance in the air, making its way towards the targets. The arrow moves in the air, until it hits the white area of ​​the target.

"Yes, I did it!" I scream excitedly, while doing a victory dance making Roan laugh.

"Technically, you failed." Ritha's party pooper comments. Damn bitter woman.

"What?"

"That part of the target you hit." She points with her finger. "It counts for nothing."

"Maybe." Zarah interrupts. "However, it is more than what many get to do in their first time. "She says proud of me. I give her a grin. "Not even Roan hit the target." He nods confirming, impressed by my achievement. Zarah picks up the bow I dropped on the ground and crouches next to me.  "Here." She hands it to me. "Try again." I take it and get into position grabbing an arrow. "You're better at this than in any other discipline." I take a breath ready for the next shot. "And remember, Clarke . As long as you have a bow, you will be safe." I shoot the arrow and it also hits the white area, but even closer to the next line.

"Naiplana, Heda kom here. (My queen, the commander is here)" Says one of the guards. Although I am a fast learner, I only recognize the word Naiplana, queen; and the word Heda, which is commander. Wait, Commander? I look at Roan intrigued and he takes me by the hand and we walk behind Zarah towards the castle. It seems that the lesson is over.

-------------------------------------------------- -------------------------------------

We reached the doors of the throne room. If I understand correctly we will meet the new commander. Zarah stops before entering and turns to me.

"Listen little one, normally I would not take you to these types of meetings, but Heda must know the whole royal family." She explains to me and I nod. "When we enter there, you will kneel in front of her and you will only get up if she allows it, Do you understand?" I nod my head again. "Don't speak if she doesn't ask, don't look her in the eye if she doesn't give you permission. Just go in there and show your presence." I nod, not very convinced. I'm still not used to the way things are here. Maybe because I have been treated as the most powerful here, but now that the commander is here I have been displaced up in the scale.