Chapter 16

Lexa pov:

As almost always, I am the first to wake up. I find myself lying on my side, hugging Clarke's body, who's back to me. I smile, the sun releasing the beautiful gold of her hair, making it seem almost magical. The moment is interrupted, when a snout begins to sniff the back of my neck. I shrug because it tickles and I reach out to pet Mason.

Encouraged, he leaps on top of me, making me scream and waking Clarke. Mason barks and fills us with wolf-style kisses. His emotion is so great that we can't help but laugh. When we manage to calm him down, we kiss each other good morning and get up, ready to start a new day. Today will be the first meeting of Clarke with the ambassadors. Even I am nervous.

We get dressed and help each other to braid our hair. Clarke wants to put on her war paint, but I stop her. She pouts at me and almost manages to convince me. Almost. When we're ready, we go downstairs to my private dining room. I usually do it with ambassadors, but I want their first impression of Clarke to be during the meeting. Not that they see how she devours the food as if she were not going to eat tomorrow.

"Nervous?" She asks me when we're done.

"Yeah, a little." I shake my head confused. "Wait, shouldn't I ask you that?"

She giggles. "Maybe, but you look more nervous." So I think it's fair.

"Aren't you nervous?"

"A little bit. But I think it won't be THAT bad. What could happen?"

I hope that innocent question does not charge us later. I shake while laughing and she gives me a chaste kiss. That becomes more. If we continue like this, we won't make it to the meeting. We hold hands and walk towards the elevator. Clarke tries to loosen up and run to the stairs, but it is late, I already hold her against my firm body, so that she does not escape. She curses under her breath and begins to struggle.

"You must overcome your fear of the elevator."

"No. That thing was invented by the devil himself. It sure is a death trap to get more victims."

I laugh out loud. I really don't know where she gets so much nonsense from. I kiss her forehead and she seems to calm down. The doors open and we go in. Clarke squeezes my hand so hard, I think she's going to break it. Luckily for me, the trip only lasts three floors or I even lose my arm. The blood has stopped circulating in the middle of the second.

We go out and stop in front of the wooden double doors. A guard informs me that everyone has arrived. I take a breath and prepare to enter, when her hand stops me.

"Lex, where should I go?"

Shit, I forgot to tell her that. "Follow me and break away when we get to the stairs. You will see Titus off to my right. Do the same, but stand to my left."

"Okay, next to you, but not on the altar. I understand."

I give her a sweet kiss, trying to relax us both. "Okay, here we go."

We get serious and the doors slide open, revealing the throne room.

-------------------------------------------------- --------------------------

Clarke pov:

I walk next to Lexa under everyone's watchful eyes. I erase all emotion other than indifference from my face and notice Titus a few feets behind to the right, as Lexa said. I let go of her hand and stood at a distance to the left, covered in shadows. I do not intend to speak or comment at this meeting. I'm just a listener, like when I was spying on my mother in her studio.

I analyze them with my gaze and they analyze me. Roan lifts a discreet thumb in mute support. Some show curiosity, others hate. I've even been in the room for a minute and I've made several enemies. It must be a record. Oh, no, that one has the commanders, who by some are hated even before the spirit chooses them.