Chapter 10

Clarke pov:

I watch the deer move towards the berries that I left on purpose. The poor animal has fallen into my trap. I prepare the bow and aim for the eye. That way he will not suffer, he will die instantly. I take a deep breath, preparing to take the life of another living being. It is not the same as murdering a person, but it does not make it easier. He raises his head and sniffles. Hell, don't notice me. It appears not to, as it returns to the berries. I aim again, I am about to shoot, when a scream startles me. The deer escapes and my arrow sticks where seconds before it was. What a waste.

I go over and extract the arrow from the trunk. I have been out hunting for a long time, it is usually an activity that relaxes me when I am stressed, like now. Three summers have passed since the coalition existed, three years in which the clans have lived in peace. Three years in which trade routes were opened and the clans exchanged products, technology and knowledge. Three years in which I have developed.

In a few months I will become a formal adult. It seems like yesterday when I came to earth, and now I am about to come of age. However, my behavior is still of a teenager. For example now, I have escaped from the castle. Peace reigns between clans, but things aren't all rosy around here. The tension is mounting, and I fear we are on the brink of a civil war. A war that could extend to all clans.

I displace those horrible thoughts, the reason why I have come to hunt, to try to clear my mind. Roan and Mom believe that the woods are not safe and that I should not go out without at least two escorts, but there is no one who knows them better than I do. So many furtive exits, hunting days and running away from my problems have given me a total knowledge of the area. Of course I always go out armed with my bow, a sword, and multiple daggers. I'd be stupid if I couldn't defend myself. Not to mention that I have continued to train, improving every day.

I turn to where the scream came from and carry the bow. More than a scream of terror, it was an order. There is a river a few meters away, perhaps it is someone who travels and has stopped to drink and rest on the shore. Without lowering my guard, I walk through the trees. I'm near the shore, when the murmurs reach me. I can't understand what they say, but getting closer would be dangerous, they would discover me.

I go back a few meters and climb a tree. I climb its branches, up to a considerable height. They are covered by thick winter snow. I jump to the next one, and to the other, until I reach the edge, where the river is. My white furs and my pale skin color help me camouflage myself. Two men stand guard on each side. Idiots, they didn't even hear me coming. A woman drinks water from the river. There are five horses, so two people are missing.

I frown, they should be close. Before I can react I hear a branch crack behind me and a dagger rests on my throat. "Don't move or I'll killI you." I clench my jaw and let the woman drag me. Maybe they are not as stupid as I thought. She pulls me out of the tree and I fall heavily to the ground. She grabs me by the furs and throws me at the feet of the woman I saw drinking in the river. "Heda, this girl was watching us in the trees." Shit, I'm screwed.

I lift my head and my gaze meets beautiful green eyes. Surprise shows in the commander's eyes, but her expression remains neutral. She must have recognized me, that's worse. We looked at each other for several minutes, analyzing each other. Weighing our options. "Heda?" Asks another soldier.

The woman finally reacts. "Leave her." The four guards look at her with surprise. "Have you not understood? Release her." She says again, this time irritated.

I get up and brush the cold snow off me. Easy, Clarke. You're going to fix it, you always do. We continued looking at each other, as if we were spellbound by each other's gaze. She is almost the same as in the summit a few years ago, only her features have become more mature, making her look a little older, but no less young. "Heda, why did you release her?" Dares to ask the woman who literally dragged me up to her feet.