Chapter 18

(Importante note at the end.)

Abby pov:

We walk among the tall, thin trees that make up the forest. The name Trikru suits it perfectly. My nerves rise with every step and I feel Kane's rises as well. By how Clarke has spoken of the commander, you can see the authority that the woman possesses. With just her order, we will all be dead.

We have been walking through the forest for several hours and have finally reached what appears to be Ton dc, the village where the meeting will take place. They tell us to disarm and enter, followed by the guards who led our way. I am stunned at the sight.

I don't really know what to expect, but definitely not this. Men and women chat pleasantly with each other. Guards go here and there, and groups go hunting and gathering to feed the village. Children run through the crowd, playing with wooden sticks, simulating swords. They seem to have a hard life, but they are still happy.

They guided us to a tent, the largest in the place. It definitely belongs to the commander. Two guards wait outside, they glare at us trying to intimidate us. Well, they do. One in particular comes up and tells us.

"If you look at her the wrong way, I'll slit your throat."

I swallow hard and Kane looks just as scared. We nod and he opens the cloth of the tent for us to enter. It's a spacious tent, a wooden table piled high with maps and blank sheets, I suppose to write down. Some chairs and a cloth covers one part, which I suppose leads to the bedroom.

In the center, at the end of the tent, is a wooden throne. Branches intertwine on the backrest, giving it a unique look. A brown-haired woman is sitting seriously on it. Her face is covered in black war paint, something that seems common among grounders. I did not expect someone so young, she must not be much older than Clarke. And speaking of her, she is sitting on the armrest of the throne, absentmindedly playing with a dagger. She looks up and down after seeing that we are the ones who entered.

They seem to be close, if a woman with so much power allows her to sit on her throne, well in a part of it. Will they be friends? Either way, she looks just as scary as yesterday, if not more. She gets up and walks behind the throne, to the right. She watches us attentively, ready to act on any wrong move.

"Commander, it's a pleasure to meet you," Kane says, bowing his head.

"Heda." I do the same, remembering how Clarke called her yesterday.

"Skai Prisa has told me that you accept my proposal of peace." She crosses her leg, settling herself better in her seat.

"That's right, Heda. We don't want to have problems with anyone. Just live in peace."

Clarke says something in the foreign language and the commander nods. "Skai Prisa is right, you won't survive the winter."

"I'm afraid we don't have that experience," Kane says with concern.

"That's what the agreement is about, helping each other. We will offer you our knowledge about agriculture, hunting, rationing and what is necessary to survive. In return, we ask not to be attacked and that you share your knowledge in technology and medicine. Despite having our home remedies, your advanced medicine would be quite useful."

"I am our doctor, just send those who are interested in learning and I will teach them what I can."

"Mochof." She nods and corrects herself immediately. "I'm sorry, Thank you."

"No problem. That is all?"

"No, there's something else." She turns to Clarke and nods.

Clarke steps forward, but without blocking the view of Heda's figure. "We want Jaha in return."