Chapter 6

Trikru warrior pov:

The cold soaks into our bones, we are not used to this freezing weather. Our boots sink into the snow, freezing our feet. After a while, the castle begins to come into view in the distance. He smiled, at last we had arrived.

"Stop," orders our general, "Remember, this is a capture mission, not an attack," we all shout in assent, "Bring the prince and Skai Prisa.

We let out a battle cry and started our way to Vancou.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Clarke pov:

One year. One year since I came to earth, one year since I became Skai Prisa. Training has become even harder since I found out we are at war. Bitter Witch left the capital for the border several months ago. Since then Roan and I have been trained by a big, burly man named Darius. He is not as cruel as Bitter Witch but he is no slouch.

Roan swings his sword at me and I fall into a puddle of water, soaking wet. I look at my reflection in the melting ice. The marks symbolizing my clan stand out grotesquely. I remember how painful they were. I had them done the next morning at the coronation in a more private ceremony, just mom, Roan, me and of course, the bitter witch. It was the only time I allowed myself to cry in her presence.

Training has taught me to endure pain, but I was barely two weeks into training when I had them done. I realize my nose is bleeding, oh you'll regret that bigabro. I grab my sword and stand up, landing an accurate thrust. Roan doesn't manage to block it and gets a small cut on his abdomen. Although I don't like to hurt him, I don't like to lose more.

Finally I disarm him and place my sword on his neck. We stare at each other for a few seconds, until he reluctantly admits defeat. I smirked, little Clarke has become very good, even better than him. I am about to make a witty comment about his defeat, when his face transforms and he raises his sword from the ground in a defensive stance. Alerted I turn around and see them, they are several soldiers invading the training grounds.

Their skins are darker than ours, and they have tattoos on their faces. I realize that they are not Azgeda, they are Trikru.

"Trikru!" I exclaim, alerting everyone.

Roan grabs my arm and we run with swords in our hands back to safety inside the castle. My shout must have warned them because they started to follow us. We reach the castle gates, trying to run through them amidst the pack of guards coming out to defend us. We run through the corridors to the kitchens, where the nearest door to the passages is.

Roan goes in first, as I'm about to step inside, a soldier grabs me by the hood of my cloak, pulling me back. The pull is so strong, I fall sitting on the floor. A maid screams and the soldier throws a knife, which sticks in her throat, killing her instantly. There is a scream, and it is a few moments later that I realised it was me. Blood pours from her neck, she is dead. I recognize her, it's Sydney, or was. She took care of Roan and me sometimes. She was so sweet and patient, she didn't deserve to die like that.

I hear a war cry and Roan buries his sword in the soldier, "Jus drein jus daun." He says to the dead soldier, as he pulls his sword out of the body. I am paralyzed, two people have died in front of me in less than a minute.

I used to like the idea of fighting, of being a warrior. But now, the sight of blood, the killing, I'm not sure I want it anymore. It dawns on me that this is war, you attack your enemy and innocent people die. Like Sydney. And even though he killed her, the soldier was just taking orders.

"Clarke, are you okay?" Roan's worried voice makes me turn to him. He has his hand on my shoulder and looks at me trying to figure out what I am thinking.