Chapter 7

The morning wind blows my blond hair. Most of it is tied up in braids, but the sticking out strands float in the breeze. The caravan moves in deathly silence, only being interrupted by the hooves of horses in the snow. They are painted red, spirals running through their body and covering their natural color. Mine a neat white, makes the red stand out even more.

With each step of the hooves my heart races even more. We headed to the Azgeda camp, to war. A part of me is eager to see Roan again. It has been a year since I last saw him and I have to confirm with my eyes that he is still alive and well. Well, as good as you can be during the war.

Another part of me is also excited to see the bitter witch again, who runs and is in charge of the camp. Don't get me wrong, I'm just excited to be able to play pranks on her again. Nomon warned me that it would not be possible, and that I would have better things to worry about.

Finally, a feeling of unease came over me, after all, I was going to war. Maybe I will never return to the castle, I'll do my best to. The idea of ​​not surviving the battle terrifies me, of having trained so many days and nights for nothing, to be dismembered the moment I set foot on the battlefield. If Roan were here he would tell me that I am a good warrior, that I shouldn't worry. But he's not here, so I have to support myself.

Our general yells at some gossiping kids behind me to shut up. Because we are that, children. The age has been lowered and now everyone who turns twelve must enlist. Not that it is a problem, they have all been trained since they were babies. I've been in this for much less time than they, however I am one of the best. Most recognize it, some try to make me look bad just out of envy.

I lift my chin in superiority. I try not to reveal the mess of emotions in my head. At the Ark, my only concern was finding a new book and what game I would play to entertain myself that day. While here on the ground, I pray not to be killed. Although I still prefer it. Every day is a new adventure, something new to discover. Every day you must survive. Maybe one day, I can live.

The smell of smoke invades my nostrils, warning me of our proximity to the camp. I begin to hear the murmurs of multiple conversations. The other children murmur among themselves, but I maintain my professionalism, my stoic expression. Nerves clench my stomach, showing me how nervous I am. I take a deep breath, here we go.

The camp meets my sight. A pile of tents, men, women, children and weapons. The smell of death is not lacking. In the distance I can see a huge tent that must be the hospital. I scan the place, trying to make a mind map so I don't get lost. I see a tent bigger than the others, there must be the bitter witch.

People come and go in their daily activities. I search the crowd for Roan, but to no avail. We continued advancing until we reached the gates of the camp. I get off my horse and leave it in charge of the people who have assigned this task to them. My short stature does not allow me to see beyond, even so I try to look for my brother.

Suddenly a too familiar voice takes me out of my thoughts. "Welcome, young recruits." Ughh, no matter that a year has passed, I still hate this woman with all my soul. I turn around and wince. Grotesque new scars adorn the face of the bitter witch. I'm beginning to think that she's doing them on purpose.

As soon as horror covers my face, it returns to its neutral expression. Some of the other kids look terrified. Idiots, this way they'll be easy targets. The corners of the bitter witch's lips are raised, she seems amused by the terror she causes. No, she enjoys it. Damn curse woman, she really has nothing better to do than cause panic and make life miserable for others.

"General." I say with my strong voice, without any emotion. That catches her attention and her gaze pierces me. I raise my chin even more, my back is straight, she does not terrify me. She inspects me, from top to bottom, she analyzes me. She wants to see how much I changed. I may hate her, but it is for my best she believes that I have respect for her. It's not that I don't respect her, but I'll never tell her.