|Chapter Two : The Brewing Hatred|

The bright meeting hall greets me with its white marble tiles and light wood furniture—a stark contrast to the rest of the castle's victorian interior.

Eleanor, Valerian's step-mother and the closest woman I had to a mother is seated on one of the many chairs around the circular wooden table beside the lycan king, Anthony Verakov.

They both turn to me as I flop down on the seat next to Eleanor rather dramatically, huffing and puffing.

"What's with you early in the morning, mermaid?" Anthony asks with a laugh and my reply is a simple grunt of annoyance.

"I'm a siren, kid. Not a mermaid." I call him kid because. . .fine, there's no solid reason, I just simply call him that.

"I don't see the difference in both." Anthony seems genuinely confused.

"Oh, there is. Mermaids are girly softies. I'm dangerous." I bare my sharp canines as if to emphasize, "Even Carla understands the difference." I roll my eyes when he still seems confused.

Anthony's wife, Carla, also the lycan queen, isn't accompanying him today since she's heavily pregnant and very close to child birth of the next Verakov twins.

"Oh, I think I know why you're so edgy." Eleanor murmurs as her eyes fleets over to the entrance and then back to me as she passes me a coy look.

Here's a thing you need to know, Eleanor might be my mother figure but she acts more like a teasing grandma half the time.

And sure enough, my darling—note the sarcasm, please—mate walks in followed by Kane and Valerian and Kaitlyn.

I keep my eyes on the wooden table, not sparing any of them—specially a certain demon king—a glance as the royalties take their seat one by one.

Not moments later, the boring meeting begins and I zone out like always.

My eyes flicker around from one face to another. One king and queen after another.

Ancientriova is a vast realm. Except the capital kingdom Raveria where all types of supernaturals live which is situated in the exact center of the realm, it has four other kingdoms.

Lycor that is to the west of Raveria, is the lycan kingdom ruled by Anthony Verakov who is Kaitlyn's twin. They don't look anything like twins but they apparently are, no matter how hard to believe. And that technically makes Valerian and Anthony brother-in-laws.

To the east is Vamplyre, the vampire kingdom, ruled by Kane Lazarus alongside his partner Ryrar. Kane is fun and Ryrar is the serious one, they make a great pair.

To the south is Seagill, the Sea Kingdom. My kingdom. Where yours truly, the siren queen, me myself and I rule over the merfolks.

To the north is Helvon, the Underworld kingdom, of the demons where. . .

Instinctively, my eyes narrow into slits as I glare up at Zander Hellion's annoying face who's acting as if he's actually paying attention to the conversation going on.

Well, his annoying face except his tempting lips that are always wet for some unfathomable reason. And his nose that is frustratingly angled too perfectly and his eyes. . .oh yes, definitely those bedroom grey eyes that reminds me of. . .

Okay, I rather not mention.

Gotta keep the hatred part intact now, don't we? Besides, this is all the mate bond is speaking. He's not that good-looking. Okay, that's a lie but whatever.

Focusing back on my mission to glare the hell out of the man across me, I see Zander run his hand through his inky black locks that were falling over his forehead. Nice hair.