|Chapter Five : Siren Sisters|

Helvon is usually surrounded by dark clouds. There's no bright sunlight here. Just gloomy and chilly weather.

The castle grounds outside look like a stark depiction of those mansion's surroundings from a horror movie-dried twigs and dreary lands, leafless trees and unkempt grasslands.

The only beautiful thing I found so far is the lake in the garden that had a walk-through bridge over it. There's a tall clock tower a few yards away but I knew better than to go there alone. Don't get me wrong, I'm not scared. It's just that this whole kingdom seems dingy.

But then the underworld is supposed to be like this, I guess.

I met Avyanna right after arriving here. She'd been so calm unlike myself who felt super awkward in the isolated castle. The creepy demons lurking around the hallways with their pitch-black eyes were there ofcourse but their presence wasn't very much appreciated knowing they'd all committed some crime to be serving here.

I didn't show my discomfort outside though. Don't wanna give devil incarnate a reason to mock me now.

We both had been shown to our rooms by the butler since Zander decided he had nothing to do with me and Avyanna after dropping us here. He'd gone off to God knows where after asking the butler to assist us.

Where's your host manners at, young man? More like, old man since he's what six hundred years something? But stuck in the body of a twenties man nevertheless. So it doesn't matter as I'm somewhat the same and if someone calls me old, they're inviting their death.

Back to the topic, we'll start looking in the archives from tomorrow onwards which means today we had nothing to do. And I'd truly done nothing other than laying like a log in the confines of my room and eating the food delivered on my doorstep. I didn't even bother unpacking.

And just like that, the whole day passed and it was already night time.

I stare up at the ceiling of my room. There are silver starry patterns drawn over the dark blue paint-no comparison to the ceiling of the throne room but pretty nonetheless. I think Avyanna's room has a starry ceiling too. Is it a Helvon thing?

But really, not even a day in this place and I'm already bored to death. Only the gods could tell what the rest of my days here would be like.

Sighing, I shut my eyes and try to sleep so that I don't represent the zombies tomorrow.

But if only I knew it wouldn't be a peaceful slumber. . . .

***

"Marilla! That's not fair! You can't do that!" A little siren aged seven years with ashen white hair shrieked as someone tugged at her siren tail pulling her body underneath the waves.

Five years old Marilla giggled underwater and continued to pull her elder sister's tail, "Everything is fair in love and war, Layla." She mind-linked her sister.

Layla, who was now completely pulled underwater, shook her head and placed her hands on her hips, "This is neither love nor war. We were playing a game." She rolled her eyes speaking the words through the link.

The merfolks use their mind-link when underwater. When they were over the waves, they chose to speak through the mouth but in Seagill, it was the mind-link that came in hand.

Marilla continued to giggle before sending a wave of water crashing towards her sister's face, "Now it's a water war!"

Layla, who'd been occupied in her thoughts, shrieked again when the water hit her face. It wasn't painful in any way but it shocked her for a moment.

Narrowing her eyes, Layla swam through the water with ethereal speed and grace and tackled her little sister who broke into a dramatic screaming marathon at being caught.