|Thirty-Nine : Trespassing|

▪︎¤▪︎¤▪︎¤▪︎¤▪︎¤▪︎¤▪︎¤▪︎¤▪︎
Z A N D E R
▪︎¤▪︎¤▪︎¤▪︎¤▪︎¤▪︎¤▪︎¤▪︎¤▪︎¤▪︎¤▪︎

Whatever gratefulness I'd felt towards Layla for saving Marilla had dissapeared the moment Marilla told me how she'd got to the sea in the first place.

Layla killed Dilin.

Then drowned him.

And in an attempt to stop him from dissapearing completely under the waves, Marilla had ended up getting drowned herself.

Marilla said she didn't remember much of how she'd gotten out onto the sand. She mentioned about someone approaching her when her consciousness was slipping but she wasn't sure of who it was or whether it really happened.

Whoever the person, if they'd saved Marilla then I was forever grateful.

Although with things getting so messy and Layla searching for a new 'suitor' to marry him off to Marilla, I wasn't going to risk one more incident like this to happen.

Which brings us to the present with Layla sleeping and me slipping out again to hunt my mother.

Derek and I had been searching every nook and cranny and every hidden passageways in the castle and around the grounds for the last two weeks since we arrived here.

But there wasn't even a single trace of mother anywhere. Even then we kept searching.

Tonight, we're at a cave near a deserted part of the isle I'd noticed no one visits. The cave is at the foot of the Black Sea, kilometers away from the backyard of the castle.

Derek walks in front of me holding a lantern that lit the dark path of the cave cocooning us in it's grey stone walled burrow.

We'd been walking for the last half an hour and so far I couldn't see a penny worth of a thing or a breathing person, not that I expected to find anyone here but okay.

"You're sure this place has anything else other than crawling insects?" I ask, exageratedly swishing aside a bug before it could crumble underneath my foot.

Derek turns his head to me almost smashing the lantern on my face, "Stop acting as if I was the one who said there'd be useful information here since 'things are always hidden where no one visits'," He quotes the words with a very poor imitation of my voice.

I roll my eyes gesturing him to move ahead, "Well atleast we can be assured we checked."

My friend hums in response before returning to his lighting the path and walking like a snail.

"Dude, why are you so slow?" I grumble, grabbing the lantern from his hand and walking straight ahead of him.

I don't even take three steps before I crash into a stone wall.

"The reason." Derek passes me a smile of pure mockery, "There are way too many turns and walls you can't see even with the light. You need to focus."

I groan rubbing my throbbing forehead before thrusting the lantern back into his hand, "Lead the way."

"You're welcome." He grins holding the lantern close to him as if it were some precious jewel.

We walk and walk and walk for what feels like eternity but is probably another half hour without anything in sight except the endless path. It's strange how the cave is even so deep when all it has is a horde of insects and nothing else.

"We're getting nowhere. Let's go back." I inform him.

"Yeah we shou-" Derek stops mid-sentence before he passes me a look over his shoulder, "The wall is moving."