|Chapter Forty : Note|

▪︎¤▪︎¤▪︎¤▪︎¤▪︎¤▪︎¤▪︎¤▪︎¤▪︎¤▪︎
M A R I L L A
▪︎¤▪︎¤▪︎¤▪︎¤▪︎¤▪︎¤▪︎¤▪︎¤▪︎¤▪︎¤▪︎¤▪︎

"This is atrocious." The words leave my mouth the moment Derek and I are alone at a circular table laid out in the garden's dark splendor. We're given time to 'get to know each other' before our engagement a week later.

I'd have expected a lot of things to happen when I woke up today morning after my almost drowning yesterday night but none of them included being introduced to a supposed new suitor and asked to get ready to spend a dinner with him tonight.

And that supposed new suitor being Derek.

I also didn't expect to discover Zander 'found' this suitor for me because he thinks Derek would be a good match.

So much for professing blasphemy about liking me. It didn't even make sense. I know he's upto something but he wouldn't tell me. Not that I tell him everything. I haven't still told him about the love spell.....

"Tell me about it," Derek's voice snaps me back to the present, "I'm being used as a sacrificial goat here."

I raise a brow at that, "How so?"

"Until yesterday night when Zander said 'I found a suitor for Marilla', I didn't even knew I was getting married. Like duh, I need time to prep myself for such decisions." He raises his arms in the air exageratedly.

I almost laugh at the agony lacing his tone, "Sucks to be you."

"Really," He agrees with a nod, "Sucks to be that brute's best friend. I always find myself in precarious I didn't even sign up for."

"Ouch. You wound me by speaking outright you don't want to marry me." I place a hand to my heart in mock-hurt, "I thought you said you liked me when we first met."

Derek gives me a coy look at that, "Well, I do like you. But you see I like someone else more."

My interest peeks at that. Placing my elbows on the table, I rest my chin on my open palms, "Who might the lucky girl be?"

"She doesn't even like me." He gives me a bland look in return, "But I think she's my mate. I even got the scent once. But she says folks other than lycans or werewolves don't have second chance mates and she already had hers."

I process his words for a moment focusing on 'folks other than lycans' and 'second chance mate' before a wide smile pulls at my lips in understanding, "It's Avyanna, isn't it?"

Derek scratches the back of his neck, "Well...."

"Other folks usually don't have second chance mates but there are some rare cases where they do. Ursula did. So I suppose maybe Avyanna might too. She probably doesn't recognize the bond because it'd be a weaker than the first one. You should try to confirm." I lean back in my seat passing him a wicked smile, "Maybe kiss and check whether you both feel the sparks?"

Derek considers my words with full attention before sighing and resting his head on the table dejectedly, "But for that, we have to actually get her out of Layla's clutches, don't we?"

My smile drops instantly replaced by a feeling of guilt, "I'm sorry. Avyanna got captured because of me-"

"It's not your fault. I used to blame you for Laira's death when I came to know you were the siren queen but now I don't. You've been framed. It's all Layla and Charlotte's doing." He sighs passing me somewhat of an assuring smile.

My heart sinks at the words, confusion coating my features, "I'd been framed?" I ask and Derek's eyes widen as if he'd accidentally let that slip.

"That....." He stands up from his chair looking ready to flee any moment, "Zander sorta thinks you were. That Layla and Charlotte already knew the entrance to Helvon. He didn't want to tell you until he was completely sure......I should go. Nature's call."