Chapter 14 - Impulse

(A very long time ago)

I wait alone in the darkness. The corridors around the training area stretch on for miles. Probably some kind of preparations for what is to come, whatever it is. The thing me and the rest of the hermits decided to sign up for. I don't know why. But it sounded fun. 

'Impulse? Are you there?'

I almost jump at the voice. My brother. My stinking brother. Skizz. Of course he's ended up here as well. Him and the other third-lifers. He's disliked me ever since he found out I betrayed the Red Army. And I've hated him back for never getting over it. And for how loud he is. 

'Yeah. I'm here.' I reply. A knife sits in my hand. I've been practicing how I'm going to do this for ages. Ever since he threatened me. 

'What are you doing? And why did you want ME to come?'

I don't respond, letting him tread closer to where I'm hiding. 

'Impulse? If this is just because you betrayed everyone, then you should know I'm armed too.'

He walks around the corner, and I jump out, knife slicing. He yells out, falling against the wall, bleeding. I step away, watching triumphantly as he begins to choke, staring incredulously up at me.

'Why you little B****?! What the F*** WAS THAT?!'

'Maybe you should've stopped talking about how I 'betrayed everyone'.'

Skizz claws are my leg, furious. 

'You're a MONSTER!' He snarls. 'I HOPE YOU DIE HATING YOURSELF.'

'Only when you're dead.' I kick him away, and he lies on the floor, blood pooling. Somehow he's still alive, gasping for breath. I hear footsteps, and Stress appears, gasping at the sight. 

'I- Impulse?!'

She crouches next to Skizz, desperately trying to stem the bleeding. I watch emotionlessly as she yells out for help. Hopefully it's too late for that. As others arrive, I watch nonchalantly off, mildly annoyed that I've now lost my weapon. 

(Now)

The forest is as dark as it normally is. I'm walking through it, joined by the Convex, trying not to get annoyed as they share stories of what either of them missed. Most of it is just Scar reminding  Cub of everything them did together on 'hermitcraft', whatever that is. I just carry on ahead of them as they keep having dumb revelations about turf wars and monopolies. Skizz hasn't been mentioned at all. I idly notice that it's getting dark, and pull out my sword.

'You were my enforcer!' Scar gasps suddenly. 'I was mayor, and you were enforcer!'

'SHUT UP! Please! It's not helping my nerves here.'

'Sorry...' Mutters back Scar. 

'You alright?' Cub asks.

'No... I'm used to everything trying to kill you in places outside of safety. And I'm jealous that you two are together again, but I know I shouldn't be and why is everything so complicated?!' I walk off again, not caring if the Convex follow. Scar runs after me.

'Impulse, I know this has all been hard for you. I'm sorry if any of it's my fault. Seriously.'

'I wish Tango was here... he was good at cheering me up. Or Zedaph. Or Grian.' 

'Or Skizz.' Scar adds.

'Him too...' I turn away again. Scar calls my name sadly.

'I'm sure you'll see them at some point. I ended up here. Maybe they will too...'

'I don't know. All I know is that they're not here now, and most other people have SOMEONE. And don't tell me I have you.' I snap quickly as I see him about to speak. 'You're nice and all, but you two already have each other.'

'And you can join us, right Cub?'

'Yeah... man, we never meant to exclude you at all.' Cub agrees. I groan.

'We should head back to the others. It's night, and I don't want to get attacked again.'

'Then let's go back.'

We head off again, with me just behind, always looking back to see if there are any monsters. There's a flash of silver in the trees, and an arrow shoots at us.

'Skeletons.' I warn. 'We need to go.'

'And zombies.' Cub adds. 'I can hear them. Scar, run back to the camp and stay there. Me and Impulse will distract them.'

I can only nod back, heart racing as the undead approach. I cut down a couple of zombies, hearing the sound of Scar darting away behind me. Cub's by my side, helping me with the hoards of creatures. One claws at my arm, and I slice theirs off in return, kicking them away. Blood trickles down, opening up already-healed wounds. Cub begins shooting some sort of weird blue stuff at them, which he hastily explains is Vex Magic. Having no such magic myself, I just cut and slice at the zombies. Skeletons are also shooting at us, and one manages to get an arrow in my arm. I can't pull it out, even though it's agony. Cub does instead, pulling me away and tying something over it. I don't have time to thank him before a green moss creature begins to pulsate, before exploding, almost taking me with it. Rain begins to fall, but it doesn't seem like there's any lightning to go with it this time. Cub stabs another moss creature, before telling me to run. I try to obey, but crash to the ground as a zombie grabs my leg. I try to get it away, screaming for help. A spider crawls over as well, and I impale it just before it attacks. Before I'm overrun with mobs, Cub pulls me to my feet and we both flee. Arrows shoot after us, sticking in trees and in the ground. I yelp as one hits my ankle, and trip again. Cub yells my name, but I know I won't be able to keep going. Shakily, I return to my feet, and hobble on.

'Just run!' I tell Cub. 'I'm not going to make it out of here.'

'No! Impulse, you're my friend! You're not going to die!'

Right at that moment, an arrow hits my chest and I collapse. Cub runs over to me.

'Impulse... no...'

I lie there, practically in his arms, smiling slightly, before I die. 

I know it's a really pathetic death.

Don't judge me.