Chapter 23 - Ren

This book is getting way too complicated in terms of who's dead or not.

I've had to make a list on paper as to what's going on with everyone's aliveness. 

(Also, fun fact: There are currently 7 people who still haven't died once, while Xisuma's died 3 times and it would've been possible at one point for someone to die 4 times in this series. No, wait. Scar can still die four times. :) )

No one knows what happened last night.

But we all woke up to see Xisuma and Jevin lying dead in their beds, and everyone claiming they didn't do it. It was Joel that found them, granting himself a bit of extra sus, though no one knows why he would choose his fellow maze-dweller as one of his targets. 

Suspicion leaks into everyone's conversations as we all gather for breakfast, and to discuss what happened. Scott's already compiling a list of all of us from sussest to least sussest. I don't look over to see where I am on it, knowing it would increase my susness by a few places. 

'Who's your top suspect?' I ask instead. He sighs.

'I don't know... Maybe Cub? He was certainly unhappy at Xisuma yesterday, but why would he kill Jevin? Mumbo's staying very quiet about this entire thing, and as far as I know, BigB and TFC were out mining again last night.

'Maybe they saw who did it... I dunno, man. This is hard.'

'Have you even seen Cub today?'

'No...' I scan the area for the vex. 'He's still very  upset about why Scar isn't coming back, and he was becoming kind-of close with Impulse before he died... Man, I wish this was easier... what about everyone else?' 

'Cleo, Joe and Keralis have all been able to cover for each other, though Joe's made it as long-winded and cryptic an alibi as possible.'

'Joe's Joe.' I reason back. 'What about...' I look around for anyone we've missed, realizing just at that moment how few people are here. 'Hmm... I think that's everyone covered. Maybe Scar and EX came over and killed them?'

'I don't think Scar would do something like that...'

'Maybe EX did it without Scar knowing?'

'Hello, Sweetfaces!' The undoubtable sound of Keralis's arrival makes me jump, and I yelp instinctively, claws out. 

'Jeez, Keralis... Ya scared me...' I manage to say once I recover from the shock.

'Hey, Keralis! How's everything going?'

'I'm good. Cleo wanted me to see where you were when the deaths happened.'

'Asleep?'

'Same here.' 

'Ok! See you around!'

Keralis goes off again, and I look over at Scott, trying not to laugh. 

'That was normal.' Scott states.

'For Keralis? Probably.' I laugh back. 'Anyway, what should we do now?'

'No idea. I don't even know who's in charge now and-'

I notice Cub in the window of his house, waving at me and signaling for me to come over, Scott does too, and we both join the vex. 

'What's up, man?' I ask. 

'We're sneaking off and finding Scar.'

'What?!' 

'He has to be somewhere!'

There's a certainty in Cub's voice that I don't want to get rid of, even though Scar's probably dead.

'Cub, are you sure?'