Chapter Twenty-Three

The officers glanced at each other and were silent for a moment. Both my forehead and hands were covered in sweat. My heart leaped into my throat. I was a nervous wreck. I was so anxious that standing was an issue. My legs were giving way. I tried standing still and took in a few deep breaths. I grasped my shirt and tried to relax. I needed to relax before I confronted Jack. Goodness. I did not want to be anxious in front of him.

Thinking about Jack kidnapping or killing Alexis made me want to sob. I hate my sister, but even she does not deserve to be kidnapped or killed. With her little brain, she cannot handle it. She does not know how to defend herself. I am not a fighter, but I will kick my attacker. I will kick where the sun never shines. She cannot. Well, she can. She just refuses to because she says that it will ruin her makeup.

Alexis is soooooooo stupid. Your life is more important than makeup. I will choose a messy face over death.

The cops gazed back at me and nodded. "Sure. I do not see why not," the first officer stated. "My partner and I will be outside if you need us. Just be careful."

"You sure that it is safe?" his partner asked. "Not being judgmental, but Jack is a suspect. He should be treated as such. If he did something to Alexis, he will definitely do something to Janice."

The first cop flashed him a smile. "She will be fine. You and I will stand across from Jack's house. And think of it this way." He patted his back. "If Jack does an illegal act, we can arrest him and search his house. We will be there if he does something to Janice."

"What if he stabs her with a knife? What if he pulls out a knife and stabs the poor girl?"

"We will give Janice protection." He gazed back at me. "Where is Jack's house by the way? You never told us."

I pointed to my right. "Next to ours. At least, I assume. Alexis and I saw him watering plants and going inside. I will be honest that the outside creeps me out."

He squinted at me. "You...you are scared of the outside world?"

"What? No, no. The outside of his house. It looks like a haunted place. An abandoned house."

He rested a hand on the table and the other on his hip. "Please. There are no such things as haunted houses. I cannot believe how many people believe in ghosts. The young generation gets stupider and stupider."

I cannot blame him for stating that. It is the truth. The youngsters are choking themselves for a challenge. We have fallen. Fallen hard. How stupid do you have to be to choke yourself to death? Not a real worlder is smart. Except my writer. I feel sorry that she is a real worlder. She deserves so much better.

Remember that protection that the officer brought up? I was now on Jack's front porch with a bulletproof vest under my shirt. I understood that those cops wanted to protect me. I got that they did not want to see me hurt. My eyelids lowered as I straightened out my shirt. Jack could not see this vest. He would think that I was some weirdo. I am not beautiful like Alexis, but looks are not everything.

A lesson that I would learn soon.

In case that it was not obvious, I still did not think that Jack was the culprit. I did not want to think that Alexis was kidnapped or...you know. Who would ever want to kidnap her? It is torture living with her. Imagine being in the same room with her. And who would want to kill her? Maybe she annoyed somebody so much that he or she silenced her for good. It is a possibility. But he was innocent. Jack was innocent. He goes on one date with Alexis. Now he is blamed for something that he did not do. Maybe that will teach him to not date my sister. He should date me instead.

I sighed heavily and gazed up at the night sky. I patted down my hair and clasped my hands together. I blew a hair strand away from my eyes and let out a whoosh of air. I wanted to be with the guy every chance that I got. I wanted to hug him and dance with him and touch his face and hands and...kiss him. My lips against his.

I sighed again and glanced at my shoes. But that would never happen. He would not want to date someone like me. But I will not hold it against him. I will embrace it. We all have our preferences. Some good. Some awful. I do not want to force him to love me. I would feel guilty and then not be worthy of his love. I want to be worthy - if he loves me.

I was so deep in my thoughts - too deep - that I did not notice Jack. He had opened the door and was standing in the doorway. Jack said my name until I snapped out of it. My face got hot when I made eye contact with the most attractive guy. Even at night, he was handsome. I tucked a hair strand behind my ear and waved.

"Hi, Janice," he said. I felt my heart melt when I heard his voice. Heard it for the hundredth time. I was ready to melt into a puddle in front of him. What would Jack do then?

"H-hi, Jack," I stammered. I lowered my hand. "So you see...um..." I rubbed my shoulder.

He smiled. "Yes?"

"...have you heard what happened at the restaurant?"

"I do not believe that I have."

"Alexis...is missing."

"Of course, she is missing. We have her."