Chapter Twenty-Five

Jack held the door open and motioned for me to come in. I smiled and tugged on my fingers as I strolled in. I was a lucky lady. Not only was he interested in me, but he invited me into his house. An attractive guy wanted me. He wanted to hang out with me. Get to know me. I could not contain my excitement. How could I say no?

"What is that sound?" Jack asked. "It had better not be a squirrel ruining my flowers."

I stopped walking and covered my mouth. Oh my gosh. He heard me. He had overheard my squealing. And he assumed that it was a squirrel. I did not want to laugh. Not yet. But I could not help it. I snorted.

Jack walked until he was next to me. He put his hands on his waist and surveyed the living room. "I apologize for those noises, Janice. I do not have the slightest clue who is making them or where they are coming from. It may be a pig...but I have no clue why a pig would be on my property." He shrugged. "It could be a lost pig."

I uncovered my mouth and slid my hand in his. "I-it is not a pig, Jack," I replied. My smile was so wide that it hurt. "It is me."

He faced me with wide eyes. "That was you, Janice? So you are the pig?" His face went pale. "I-I mean...I-I am surprised that you made the sounds. I thought for sure that it was an animal." He kissed my hand again. "I am sorry for calling you a pig. My mind was on pigs, and it slipped out. You are not a pig. You are an angel. Such a beautiful angel who fell from Heaven."

I giggled. "You know how to make a girl feel good. I am just surprised."

"Surprised about what?"

Before I could answer, I coughed. Coughed hard. I was not having an asthma attack or something worse. I had smelled something...horrible. Probably the worst smell that I have ever sniffed. I did not know what it smelled like. I let go of his hand and gagged. I pinched my nose and asked what that smell was.

Jack got angry. Not at me. At his parents. He clenched his fists and stomped his foot. "Goodness gracious! My mom was supposed to take care of the smells. She said that she would clean the house. She promised!"

"Do you have a clothespin, Jack? I do not want to keep holding my nose."

"Yes, yes. Of course. Whatever you say. There are some in the kitchen. I will return. Please sit." He patted a red couch in the middle of the room. At least, I figured that it was red. "You are a guest. Make yourself at home. By the way, are you thirsty? Would you like a drink?"

I plopped on the couch and released my nose. "What is on the menu?"

"We have lemonade. Apple juice. Soda. Orange juice."

I laid back. "Hmm...I am in the mood for some water. I am sure that you have water."

He scratched the back of his neck. "Uh...I really hate to tell you this. I do not want to disappoint you."

I grew concerned. "What is the matter?"

"We do not have water. No water at all. It is all because of the stupid pipes."

"Oh, no. What is going on with the pipes?"

"It is a messy issue. I have no idea what is wrong. I am just keeping my fingers crossed and praying that it will be resolved. We have been without water for a week."

"My gosh. That is awful. Have you called a plumber?"

"Yes. My parents contacted one at the beginning of the week. The company said that one will be out at the end of the week." He crossed his arms. "They said that they are backed up, but I do not buy it."

I shook my head. "Terrible. Just terrible."

"So while you are here, Janice, do not use the faucets. I do not want the plumber to arrive and state that he can do nothing. We may have to tear out the floors."

I grabbed his hand and massaged the back of it. "Hope that it does not come to that."

Jack sighed and smiled. "I know that it is getting late. I am tired, and so are you."

"I am not tired. I...do not think that I will sleep tonight because...you know. I do not think that I will ever sleep again."

"It is because of Alexis."

I nodded. "Yeah."

"I am surprised that you miss someone like your sister. She is not a good person. She has no pure heart like...a friend whom I know."

I released his hand and giggled. "I wonder who it is. So many people have a pure heart."

He smirked. "But there is only one whom I set eyes on. When your sister returns - if she ever does - then I will end things with her." He kissed my cheek. "You excited to date me? 'Cause we will be together forever."

My cheeks were hotter than ever. I covered them. "I do not know how a guy like you can love a girl like me."

"And I have no clue how any boy cannot love a girl like you."

It was not until he left said room that I spotted them. I spotted footprints. Small and muddy. I examined them before reaching down and touching them. Fresh. I held my fingers up to my face and sniffed. Yuck! I gagged. It was the smell. That is what I smelled earlier. It was the muddy footprints.

A box of tissues was on the coffee table. I yanked out a tissue and wiped my fingers. I crumpled the tissue into a ball and tossed it on the table.

"Hello, Janice."