45

Chapter Forty Five: Bedlam

"That wedding rehearsal was exhausting," Allison said as she got into the back seat of Danny's new car. She yawned inaudibly and reached down to take off the heels she had worn. "And put me in a bad mood."

Danny shook his head and turned the car on. "All rehearsals are exhausting. Are you going to the dinner tonight?" He turned on the heat and lowered the temperature slightly, as it wasn't a particularly cold day, just chilly.

"M'not sure," she responded and sprawled her freshly spray-tanned legs onto the black leather seats. "I was invited of course, my dad too, but I'm not sure if he'll be up for it. He hasn't seen either of Lydia's parents in years, and he hasn't met Stiles. I don't want him to feel uncomfortable."

"I think your dad would be just fine," Danny told her, "I'm sure he'd be happy to see Natalie and Jeff, I know they all used to be close when we were all younger. Plus, your dad's not one to be uncomfortable. He always finds a way to have a good time." He paused, and then looked at her through his mirror. "Are you really concerned about your dad, or are you concerned about seeing Scott?"

Allison, looking up at him through the mirror as well, shot him a nasty glare. "Daniel."

"Hey, hey," he said, putting his hands up in front of him, "It was just a question. I'm sorry."

She gnawed on the side of her cheek and looked out her window, looking at nothing in particular. She watched as people exited the church that she herself had just came out of.

"I never thought Lydia would get married at a church," she said to herself, but loud enough for Danny to snicker, "Is she even Christian? Nothing against that, of course. I've never seen her family go, that's all."

Danny buckled his seatbelt and motioned with his hand for her to do the same. "From what I heard, it's Stiles who's affiliated with the church. Well, his father. But it's beautiful in there, and Lydia deserves a beautiful wedding, doesn't she?"

"Of course she does," Allison said, a ghost of a smile on her lips. "She deserves so much... I hope she can get through tonight and tomorrow without thinking about Elias."

Danny's body tensed at the mention of the younger Martin boy. Realizing Jacob wasn't there, he loosened up. Elias was a topic that the two rarely mentioned anymore; Jacob was still having a very hard time with it.

"She's always thinking about Elias," he told her. "They all are."

"You know what I meant," she muttered, still watching the church doors open and close as people filtered in and out.

"Has she told you about the baby names she picked?" he asked as he turned the wheel away from the curb to pull out of the parking lot.

"What?" she asked, feeling a slight ping of jealousy rise, "No... has she told you?"

"Not her, but Jacob," he said, and Allison's jealousy retreated back inside of her. Her flushed cheeks cooled, and she let out a sigh. "Would you like to know?"

"Why hasn't she told me herself?" Allison questioned. "She knows that I'm curious. Does she know if it's going to be a boy or girl yet?"

"No, they don't know that yet. I don't think they want to just yet." His voice was drowned out by the sound of his blinker for a moment. "And she only told Jacob last night because she wanted his opinion on it."

"And not ours?" she blurted enviously. Her face reddened once again in embarrassment. Allison hated the way she sounded and resented the way she'd been feeling all day, but she couldn't seem to shake it off. Not when Scott had been sitting beside her all day long, stealing quick glances at her one moment and gawking at Isaac another. Not when her best friend, who she truly did love, was receiving the things that Allison had always longed for. Lydia's wedding was going to be gorgeous - a chapel wedding with candles and chandeliers, marbled floors and a beautiful alter. She hadn't seen her best friend's dress, but Allison knew that Lydia was going to be a stunning bride. And Lydia was going to be the perfect mother in less than a few months.