42

Chapter Forty-Two: Promises

"I don't know what to do," Lydia admitted and bit her bottom lip. She picked at the skin around her fingernails as she watched Allison, who was sitting criss-crossed on her bed, rapidly smashing her laptop's keys with her fingers. 

"I can't tell you what to do," the brunette admitted while briefly looking up at her friend, "But I can offer you my advice. I think that you need to tell Stiles. He should know. I know he said some  things that obviously didn't sit right, but I don't think that he meant them. Not with you at least. You know what I mean?"

"We're usually so careful," Lydia muttered under her breath, disregarding what Allison had said. Allison went back to aimlessly searching for job applications on her laptop, slightly annoyed at Lydia for ignoring her. "We are careful. I don't know how this happened..."

"You had sex," Allison said, bluntly, "That's what happens when you have sex. Sometimes. Obviously you weren't as careful as you thought." She paused, and then looked up to see Lydia holding back tears. "Lyds, look. You have options. You always have options, at least right now while it's early... I don't agree with a few completely, but I will always support you and your decisions. Just please, don't do anything alone. Talk to him. Please."

Lydia sighed and looked down at her hands. A few tears dripped out of her eyes and onto her shirt as she finally nodded. "Okay," she whispered, "I will."

Allison closed her laptop and scooted over to the other girl to wrap an arm around her tiny frame. Lydia leaned into her friend's touch and let the rest of her tears silently drop. They sat in silence, but neither of them minded. The only sound in the house was Allison's heater running and Chris cooking dinner downstairs. Both girls let out a giggle as they heard pans crashing to the floor.

"I'm just glad he's trying, you know?" Allison said. "He really changed, Lyds. Ever since... -"

"Since Seth..." Lydia cut in.

"Yeah," Allison said, guiltily. She looked down at her leg that was no longer in a cast, and that was almost fully rehabilitated. "It should have been me, you know. It was supposed be," she admitted, almost a complete whisper. Lydia stayed silent, not knowing what to say. It hurt too much to speak about the topic.

"Anyways," Allison said, sniffling and swiftly wiping her nose, "I really have to find a job." She moved back over and opened her laptop once again. The silence for once became too unbearable.

"What sparked this?" Lydia said teasingly, trying to get herself to feel a little better.

"My breakup," Allison admitted. "I'm twenty years old and I've been babied until this point. Most kids have jobs at fifteen years old, so I'm really falling behind. I need to save up to move out of here. I was going to move in with Scott but... yeah."

''Have you heard anything from him since?" Lydia asked curiously.

"No, I blocked him," Allison admitted. "I'm so fucking embarrassed. I feel used. I don't want to speak to him."

"I don't think he used you, Ally," she told her. "You know that Scott's not like that."

"Are you sure? Because a few months ago I thought he was straight, so..."

"Allison..."

"I know, I know," she sighed. "I know that I shouldn't be bitter about it but I am. I am, Lyds. I don't care that he's gay. Or bisexual. Whatever he is. I'm glad that he's figured it all out; who he is. I just wished he figured it all out without the expense of my feelings or my love. Because I did love him. Jesus Christ, Lydia, I fucked him for God's sake. So many times. Do you know how gross that makes me feel? Like, what if he didn't like it? Or want it? And just felt pressured into it? That makes me feel so gross about myself, I feel like I practically-"