40

Chapter Forty: Loving You 

Scott flipped his blinker on and eased into a random, empty parking lot. Isaac felt awkward as Scott turned the truck off, so he refused to look up from his lap. Scott noticed, because why wouldn't he? Him and Isaac had been clung to each other's hips since high school. Scott new all of Isaac's mannerisms. Thinking back to high school made Scott quietly chuckle to himself, which broke the awkward silence. Isaac mumbled a "Huh?" in response. 

"Do you remember high school?" he asked. 

Isaac shook his head. "Of course I do. It wasn't all that long ago."

"I remember the first day of freshman year. Stiles and I were walking down the hallway and saw Jackson Whitemore slamming you against your locker," Scott reminisced. "Stiles was too scrawny  to do anything, so I ended up pulling him off of you. But Stiles had a lot to say and ended up making the bastard cry."

"Stiles has always been a sarcastic shit, hasn't he?" Isaac said, finding himself laughing too. The memory of this event was very fresh in Isaac's mind, as it was something he had always thought about. It was the moment he met his two best friends, after all. "Did I ever tell you what led up to that?"

"I don't think so. I actually think it was something you didn't like to talk about, so we didn't," Scott answered.

"Well first of all, he wasn't 'slamming' me against the locker. It was a light push, in my defense!"

"Isaac you were about the same size as Stiles, even a 'light push' would've flung your eighty-five-pound ass like a napkin in the wind," Scott teased.

"Oh shut up, this is why I never told you! Anyways, I used to hang around Whitemore's step-sister. She was in our grade but went to Devenford Prep. We met in youth school and had been friends for a couple years. I guess she liked me at the time and created a rumor that we kissed...I think? Nope, no, the rumor was that we had sex. I specifically remember that it was sex, now that I think of it, because I was freaked out at the thought of it. Like come on, imagine having sex with one of your youth group friends."

"I mean I would've," Scott said.

"Of course you would," Isaac retorted, "You had sex with anything that moved in high school."

"Oh shut up, you're not that innocent either, Mr. Youth Group. Didn't they teach you that premarital sex sends you to hell or something?"

"I mean yeah," Isaac said, "But then again so does being gay, so it didn't matter much to me anyways. I knew where I was going." 

"You're not going to hell, Isaac," Scott stated and hung his right arm out of the window. 

"You never know, but anyways, back to the story. So his sister was spreading that shit, right? And Jackson obviously heard it and freaked out. Hunted me down in school, which is odd because it took him like two weeks to hear it after I thought it had died out. But that's Whitemore, always late for everything."

"Yeah even to work," Scott commented, "Stupid bastard. How did we end up working with this dude? AND since you left, Stilinksi's been trying to find me a new partner. I've been praying that he doesn't even think about partnering me with Whitemore."

"I mean what's the worst that could happen? You get shot and die before he even steps foot on scene? Pffft," Isaac teased. 

"He's an idiot, but he's the reason I got the chance to meet you, so I owe him that much," Scott said. 

"You know what they say, if it was meant to happen it would've happened either way," Isaac told him, "Whether it was because of Whitemore or something else."