19

Chapter Nineteen: I'll Be Back

Lydia poured syrup onto her pancakes as Stiles watched her. Not looking up at him, she murmured, "I know what you're thinking, and don't you dare even try to–"

Stiles reached forward and grabbed the strawberry on top of her pancakes. He popped it into his mouth with a smile.

"What were you saying?" He asked. Lydia bit back a grin.

"Nothing, nothing at all," She muttered and put the syrup back. Lydia looked up at him and rolled her eyes at his smirk. "You want my whipped cream too, while you're at it?"

"No thanks," He said and put a small breakfast sausage link into his mouth. "I don't like whipped cream."

She stared at him with her lips slightly apart. "How do you not like whipped cream?" Lydia gasped playfully.

"How do you not like me?" Stiles quipped. "But, oh wait, you do."

Lydia blushed and at a piece of her pancakes. "Shut up, Stiles."

He smiled and reached out across the table for her hand. She set hers on top of his and he brought her hand up to kiss her knuckles.

The waitress came back with a coffee pot in her hand. She refilled Stiles' and Lydia's coffee and continued her way to her other tables.

"Make me," He smirked, quirking an eyebrow as if he were daring her to.

"I will," She stated and popped another piece into her mouth.

"Mhmm," He murmured and let out a silent chuckle. "Sure you will."

Stiles pulled up to the trailer. He looked at Lydia and noticed that she was staring straight ahead.

"What's wrong?" He asked while putting the vehicle into park.

"Do you see that truck?" Lydia questioned and pointed towards the mobile home. He looked at where her finger was and he saw a black truck parked on the other side of the trailer.

"Yeah? What about it?" Stiles asked. Lydia shrugged.

"I don't know anyone with a black truck. Does Scott drive one?"

"No," He told her, "He drives a red Chevy." Stiles unbuckled his seatbelt. "Want me to come in? I don't see your mother's car."

Lydia looked at him. "Please?"

Stiles nodded and got out of the car first. Lydia could see him patting his back pocket, feeling for his gun. She started to feel anxious. Surely he wouldn't need it, right? It's just a precaution, right?

Lydia opened her door and stepped out. The wind was blowing, making her strawberry-blonde hair fly everywhere.

The two walked up to her home and Stiles reached for the doorknob. It was unlocked. He glanced at her, and she looked at him.

Stiles opened the door and walked inside first. Lydia trailed behind him. "Jacob? Elias?" She called.

Stiles put a finger to her lips. She closed her mouth and listened carefully. Lydia heard a male voice. The voice was too deep and groggy to be Jacob's.