32

Writers Note: Make sure to comment! I love reading comments and getting feedback <3

Chapter Thirty-Two: Mommy's Little Boy

"When I was a kid," Stiles started. "I found out that my mother was cheating on my father." Lydia nodded, encouraging him to go on. He bit his lip. "My mother was constantly going out at night. She was a nurse, my father didn't ever suspect a thing. It was normal for her to get called in at night, you know? My father never questioned it. I don't know why I did. But I did."

He reached over and fixed the pillow he was laying on before continuing. "I started to go through our phone. We only had a house phone. The times she'd receive the calls and the times on the phone wouldn't match up. I eventually realized that she had been deleting the calls from the log. I was more angry than confused, I remember that. I started to get out of bed in the middle of the night and watch her leave. I'd watch as she kissed my father goodbye. He was always smiling. So happy. So clueless." Tears started to fill his eyes but they never dropped. Not once.

"One night I decided to crawl out of bed and leave through the back door. I followed her outside and watched her get into her car. She pulled out of the driveway and went down the road. I pulled my bike out of the bushes and followed her. I was biking for what felt like forever and I was about to turn around and go back home when she finally pulled into a driveway. The car turned off, the front door opened, and there a man stood. I saw my mother get out of her car and into his. He climbed in after her and I saw them kiss through the back window. I didn't bother moving when he pulled out of the driveway. I stared at my mother, and at once she turned her head and stared back at me. Her eyes widened and I just stood there. I couldn't move. I didn't want to. She raised her finger to her mouth, telling me to keep quiet. And then they drove off."

Lydia ran her thumb against his scruffy face.

"Later that night, she came into my room asking if I had told my father. When I said no she kissed my head and played with my hair. She told me that she loved me and if I loved her, I'd keep this between me and her only. And even after everything, I did love her. I never told my father. Not ever. Even after my mother died-"

"She died?" Lydia asked.

"Yes. I was nineteen and away in college when she and my father got into a car accident. My mother died in the passenger seat."

"I'm so sorry, Stiles," Lydia said quietly.

"It's not your fault, don't be sorry. But do you want to know the worst part of her death?"

"What?"

"Her funeral."

"Why?"

"The man she was fooling around with, he showed up. I tried to get him to leave, practically begged him. I didn't want to see him. I didn't want my father wondering who he was. But he wouldn't leave. My father saw him, I know he did, but he didn't say a word. Part of me thinks that my father found out, but I've always been too scared to ask."

Lydia pulled him into her a little tighter. He kissed her forehead and soothingly rubbed her shoulder.

"As I grew up I tried my hardest not to fuck up in my relationships. I tried so fucking hard, Red. But I always just...DID. The first girl I ever dated seriously was named Lucy. We were together for almost a year. And then one night I went out with my friend Liam and just completely fucked up. Her name was Krista. I met her in the bar that night and I just." Stiles shook his head and sighed. "I slept with her. When I woke up the next morning, Krista was beside me in my bed and Lucy was in front of me, in the doorway of my dorm. She tossed me my old sweatshirt that I had given to her and then she left. I dated Krista for a while but then one day... I met Cora."