Chapter 9: This is the Last Time

"What? What does that mean?" I asked Tori, hoping she could provide some kind of an explanation. She just continued to fumble with the equipment, and I heard her mumble the words "her brother" and "divergent".
Frustrated, I speak up again. "What on earth does my brother have to do with any of this? And what does divergent mean?"
Tori glares at me, "Will you stop asking so many questions?" She then grabbed me my shoulders and looked me straight into the eyes. "I'm going to put your results in manually as Abnegation. You're to go home and tell your father the serum made you sick. Make the right choice, and remember, no one can find out about this." Still confused, and still with many unanswered questions, I stepped away from her in an attempt to take all of this in. I needed to go somewhere and stay there until school is out so that my father doesn't suspect anything. I walked out of the room as quickly as I could, and then ran through one of the back doors into the field. I ran up to the lonely maple tree in the corner and take refuge there, back pressed against the bark. I brought my knees to my chest and let my head fall. Why did Tori mention my brother? Was Tobias "divergent"? Why did I get more than one test result? My test is tomorrow night, and I still have no idea what my choice is going to be. I release my hold on my knees and let my legs fall. I pulled up my dress to reveal nasty, black and blue bruises. They stopped right at the place where my dress reached. My father was always careful to only beat me in places that would never be revealed to the public. I got up and brushed myself off, deciding that there was no use hiding here until school was let out. My father is still at work, so I could stay at home until he returned, and explain to him that the serum made me sick. I doubt that he would buy the lie, but I sensed that being divergent was something that you were supposed to keep to yourself. Besides, I only have one more night with him unless I choose to stay in Abnegation. The worst he could do to me will be over for good once I get through this night.
~
I pulled the mat in front of our door up and retrieved the spare key. I unlocked and opened the door, kicking my boots off carelessly. I would pick them up later, I thought. I looked up and saw my worst nightmare come to life. My father was sitting in his armchair, an evil smirk plastered across his face. A belt was sitting across his lap.
"Come in Freya, and sit with me." I turned to put my boots away when I was interrupted by a booming voice. "NOW!" I dropped my bag to the floor and walked to the living room, sitting down on the couch across from my father. My terrified expression was probably clearly visible to him, and he took joy in that. He cleared his throat and began,"When your brother's test results were entered in manually two tears ago, I knew that I was not going to make the same mistake with you. I took off work early so that I would be sure to meet you at home if you were sent home early, and it looks like you were. Would you care to explain why your test results were entered in manually?"
Wow. I can't even use my "getting sick from the serum" excuse. He already knows the results were entered manually and that's why I was sent home.
"Well?!" He yells, and I flinch, causing him to smirk. He really is loving my discomfort.
"I don't know, sir. Maybe the computer wasn't working." That was a pretty pathetic lie, but I couldn't think of anything else at that moment.
"Don't lie!" He shouted, and I flinched once again. "Your punishment will just get worse and worse."
"I told you the truth. I don't know why the results were entered in manually." I replied as convincing as possible, even though I knew that he knew I was lying.
"You're just like your brother. Filthy, worthless, piece of trash! I can't believe I have raised another liar!"
At this point, I was truly terrified. I was in for a real beating, but I knew that my father would drag this out as long as possible. After all, this could be my last night in the house, and he was surely going to make the best of it.
I just sat there and ignored him, looking down. Before I could even process what was happening, I felt an unfathomable stinging sensation across my face. I gasped and brought my hands to my face, collapsing into the floor. The pain was unbearable. He must have been furious. The Choosing Ceremony was tomorrow and I would have a huge welt on my face. He must assume I will make up a lie to protect him when people ask if my condition. The blows then come down one after another, and I'm helpless and the floor, my pain his discretion. After about ten thrashings I'm screaming for mercy, but he brings his hand down and cups against my mouth. "Don't scream Freya, the neighbors might hear." After this, I know I'll just have to suffer this in pain.
After about an hour has passed, and my entire body is throbbing with pain, he leaves me on the floor and goes out of the room. I know better then to get up and leave before being dismissed. After doing who knows what, he comes back and speaks. "Get out of my sight."
Normally, I would meekly limp out and go up to my room to cry into my pillow. Tonight, though, something is different. "Do you ever feel bad for what you've done to mother, Tobias, and I?" I ask him, standing up so that I'm almost to his eye level.
He snorts, "It was and is my responsibility to help you all to be better. If you're weak and can't handle my quite gentle chastisement, then I'm afraid you really are the worthless scum of the earth."
Feeling braver than ever, I speak up again, "What if I told people about how you've treated our family, and all the pain you've caused?"
He smirks at my supposed foolishness. "And who are they going to believe? A government official or a silly teenager?"
"Well, the Erudite are already suspicious of you. I think that a first hand witness from your daughter would be all they need to reveal the man you truly are."
I face relaxes a bit after being so tense, and I can tell that he realizes the reality of my statement.
I see his arm coming back to punch me in the face, and my world goes black.
~
I wake up in the dark, and my entire head is throbbing. I get up and make my way up the stairs, knowing in my heart that my misery was going to be over soon. I was going to be free of this prison and bring my father's crimes to life. This was the last time I was going to be the victim.