Chapter 2: If They Only Knew

I follow if up the concrete steps. the front door is always open, and my father is always waiting in the living room. silently, as I've learned to do everything, I take off my gray, simple boots and put them in the closet. Tobias does the same.

he turns toward us. I hate to say that I have his eyes, a hazel color. I hate to say I'm related at all to him... this monster... he's not a father, he's evil. I've come to realize that he doesn't care for anyone but himself. I wish every single abnegation knew who he really was... but of course... that would never happen.

"you're on time" he growls, staring us up and down.

"yes, sir", I say as composed as I can, my eyes toward the gray floor.

"go to your room freya. I need to deal with your brother."

my heart sinks. as awful as he is to me, he's even worse to Tobias. i avoid looking at Tobias, because I know that will result in pain for me. "yes,sir" i say, walking down the hallway. I drop my backpack to the floor. no use in doing my homework... I'm stupid. I'm just a stupid abnegation child. i force myself to forget about those words. I'm not stupid... I'm not. I lay down on my small, simple bed.

what would my mother do if she was here? no. she would never be here. she's gone. gone. she's never coming back. i rest my head on the pillow...

7 years ago, I was just seven, and Tobias nine. i sat quietly at the dinner table while my parents argued. no, it was my father screaming at my mother. it was over a blue, sparkly eraser I had stolen from an erudite boy at school. that afternoon, I had walked through the door with the eraser in my pocket, waiting to proudly show my treasure to my father, who I loved dearly back then. I ran to the living room, before Tobias realized what was going on. "Freya! don't run! how many times have I told you this?" I was so excited to reveal the eraser that all I blurted out was a quick "I'm sorry!" he smiled at me. "look what I've got! I held the eraser out for him, and my mother who was sitting across the room to see. " I sto-" , I began. "I gave it to her." Tobias said. my father stood up and snatched it out of my tiny hands. I looked up and him and began to cry. he ignored me , staring furiously at Tobias. I ran to my mom, and she cradled me in her arms, a terrified look on her face. "where did you get this?" my father demanded. Tobias hung his head. "I-I-I found it at school."

"that was selfish, Tobias, and you know selfishness is wrong"

"yes, sir"

"now Tobias, this is for your own good."

my little brain finally processed what was happening when the belt struck my brothers face. I was too stunned and afraid to do anything. blow after blow came down, all over his frail body. my mother put me on the couch and covered my brother with her body, but my father didn't stop, and my mother began to scream...

I can't think about that... I can't... a week later, my mother left.... I finally had the courage to ask Tobias why. one morning on the way to school he replied , " We'll, let's just say there were plenty of other men who treated her better."

she didn't die, it was all a lie. every single abnegation believes my father is wonderful. if they only knew, maybe I would be free.