Chapter 7: Without Him

*Two Years Later*
Ever since that fateful Choosing Ceremony, my life as been pure torture. For two whole years my father has been beating me every day. He blames me for Tobias leaving, and I wish that I could gather up to courage to stand up to him and tell him,"No!! He left because of you, you monster!!" Many in another world, as a different person, I could do that, but this is abnegation, and my name is Freya Eaton. On the morning of my aptitude test, I got up at the crack of dawn and had a cold shower, partly because using hot water would be self-indulgent, and partly because the cool water feels nice on my sore body from last night's beating. As I get dressed in the dreary, standard abnegation clothing, my thoughts begin to wander. What if my result is not abnegation? Where would I go? Candor certainly was out of the question, as I've been keeping secrets for years. I'm too stupid for erudite, amity doesn't seem the right fit for a broken person like myself, and dauntless, we'll Tobias is there. What would I even say to him after he abandoned me like that? I decide to cross that bridge when and if I get to it. When I walk downstairs I see my father sitting in his armchair, and I lower my head and make myself some bland oatmeal as quietly as possible. His voice rings into the silence, "I trust you'll choose wisely." Surprised, I respond in a quiet, "Yes, sir." I don't know what else I was supposed to say, but I know that he feels that abnegation would be the right decision. I clean up my mess and leave quietly, shutting the door behind me, as my father doesn't offer to drive me. Once I arrive at the bus stop, I see Caleb and Beatrice Prior. Over the past two years, Beatrice and I have grown closer, and have succeeded in talking like normal people. We discuss what we think the test will be like, despite glares from her older brother Caleb, who appears to be a devout abnegation. He's definitely staying! Once we get to school, we wait at our assigned tables to be called for our test. I'm more nervous than ever.