Chapter 12: My New Reality

As I stood with the rest of the Dauntless, I watched as the ceremony began to wrap up. Beatrice Prior, of all people, had joined Dauntless. What was her reason for signing up for a certain death? As far as I knew, she had a fine life at home. Then again, that's probably what people thought about Tobias and I.

Caleb Prior had joined Erudite. This was a huge surprise to me, as he was the most Abnegation of anyone I knew. And his behavior appeared to be genuine. Not forced like mine and Tobias'.

A tall, dark skinned girl who was a transfer from Candor stood beside me. I think her name was Christina. I wasn't really paying attention, as my father's gaze was pointed at me until the end of the ceremony. I wasn't afraid anymore. There was absolutely nothing he could do to me. Once you have decided your new faction, there was no going back. He could live a lonely and miserable life. Fall down the stairs and break his neck for all I care.

Finally, it was time to leave. I had lost focus of the names being called and the dry commentary being spewed out. The filing out process had begun. Beatrice and the Christina girl had ended up on either side of me, and I was grateful for that. I received a nervous smile from Beatrice, which I returned. None of us except the Dauntless-born new what they were doing. Our only option was to follow them. It was still easy to tell who was who, as everyone was still clothes in their traditional faction clothing.

Being granted freedom from my father seemed to evoke something in me that was never there before. I spoke my mind as we began to run.

"I really hope they know where they're going." I  panted, referring to the Dauntless-born.

"They grew up where we're going. I'm pretty sure they know what they're doing," the girl called Christina shot back. I was struggling to keep up with her long strides that came with having long legs.

I decided to just keep quiet after that. I had to get my mind set on whatever was to come. I was not going to make a fool out of myself.

~

The wind was becoming almost unbearable; and my lungs felt as if they were going to collapse right then and there as we approached the train station and began to climb up the bars that were supporting the track. I hoisted myself up, and to my astonishment, saw the group of initiates begin jogging in the same direction. Were we expected to catch up with the train? The sounds of it approaching behind me gave me my answer.

I started to sprint, gaining speed on an open door that lead to a compartment of the train. A burst of adrenaline that came simply from the fear of not making it led me to grasp the door handle with both hands and swing my legs onto the wood floor. The force of the move caused me to roll into the opposite side of the train compartment. How I had just accomplished this great feat, I had no idea. There were sure to be bruises all over my body-fresh ones over the existing ones that will probably never really go away.

I was catching my breath, leaning up against a crate of goods amongst mostly dauntless born transfers when Beatrice and Christina managed to stumble aboard. Without a world, the came and joined me.

"I'm Freya. Beatrice already knows that, but I haven't introduced myself to you." I said all this with a smile.

Christina bluntly responded, "You talk a lot for someone fresh out of Abnegation."

"Trying something new I guess." I replied with a tone that was a lot softer than I had initiated the conversation with.

I stared out at the horizon, thinking about what I was going to have to do next. I didn't think this train had any stops planned. Jumping off was next, and I had never felt more alive. But this certainly wasn't the most terrified I had ever been, and I guess that was somehow an advantage. My father had put me through hell. How much worse could these people treat me? I was prepared. At least, I thought I was.

A/N ~

I apologize for the long wait, and I appreciate all the support that I have received. Never would I have have imagined a story of mine reaching over 7,000 reads! Thank you all!!