Chapter 6: Alone

I get in my fathers truck next to Tobias. We are one of very few abnegation families who have a car. I would honestly prefer to walk then sit in fear.

We finally arrive at the choosing ceremony. I keep telling myself I have nothing to worry about. Tobias is going to choose abnegation. perhaps my father will treat us better if my brother stays. very unlikely, but not impossible.

this is the first time I have been to a choosing ceremony. there is a huge crowd of people. Tobias walks off to stand with the other future initiates. He squeezes my hand as he joins them. I give him a small smile.

a plus of this whole thing is that I don't have to sit by my father. He will be the person in charge of calling the names . when Beatrice's father, Andrew, saw me sitting alone, they made room for me on the row above. I sit next to Beatrice, a small, blonde girl. I am about 5 inches taller then her, about 5'6.

"Hello." she says.

"Hello, how are you?", I venture. Abnegation conversation is almost always like this. we discuss school and factions. She's only here because her father is an abnegation leader. She doesn't have to worry about losing anyone today.

"I'm fine, and you?"

"Fine"

Her father leans over and asks me," How's your father?"

"He's doing good" Sometimes I wish someone knew my pain. We'll, Tobias does. And he's staying. I think I'll be fine.

"Welcome, future initiates." My fathers voice booms. "You will soon become the newest members of society. We hope you choose wisely."

He kept going on and on about the purpose of each faction. I searched the crowd for Tobias. He gives me a smile. The names are beginning to be called.

Most people born in there faction stay. A dauntless joins amity, surprisingly.

"Tobias Eaton," My father announces and I watch Tobias stand up and walk towards the bowls with as much confidence and strength as he can muster. He looks back at me once he reaches them and gives me a regretful look. What does that mean? I think, and begin to worry a bit. I watch my father. He seems to be trying to keep his composure. When I hear the sizzle of Tobias' blood on the coals I know that the choice has been made.