Chapter 3: Stupid Stiff

"out of my way, stiff", a boy in erudite blue elbows me in the stomach, right in a fresh bruise from last night. I'm very small, so one push is all it takes for me to fall to the the ground. I get up, wincing, and make my way to my first class-math. Beatrice prior, who I've never really gotten to know, sits across from me. I take out my notebook and copy down the warm up on the board. the erudite kids finish in seconds and stare at me. I don't know how to do this... Our teacher, who is erudite, quiets the class down just by standing at the chalkboard.

"Freya Eaton," she looks straight at me, "do you have an answer?"

she hates my father, an abnegation leader. everyday this happens, and everyday I cannot answer. I'm stupid.

"I'm sorry, I don't know," I almost whisper.

she smirks, and everyone except the abnegation and some amity snicker. "I think I'll have to talk to your father about your performance lately. but don't worry dear, it's really not your fault. it must be the way you've been raised, taught to never ask questions, always to as your told..." she mutters.

I feel my face turn red. I can't imagine how my father will react after talking to Ms. Bennett. he tells me I'm stupid all the time, and even if I was smart, I would be punished for being like the despised erudite. but, I'll be punished anyway. I'm sure of it. I wonder how Tobias is doing. his aptitude test is today. this morning, I watched him limp to the kitchen to make breakfast. all night I heard him cry out in pain, before it was my turn. my father must be making sure that if he leaves abnegation, he can do everything he can to make my brother miserable.

my classes seem to go on forever. when the bell finally rings at 3:00, I meet Tobias at the front. we are not supposed to discuss our test results. he doesn't say anything to me. he must be thinking.