Chapter 5: Braving the Storm

they say the people who smile the brightest are hurting the most inside. that's how I feel at school today.

I'd never let anyone know what's going on at home. my father is an abnegation leader. besides the fact that no one would believe me, every single abnegation looks up to him. how could Marcus eaton abuse his children?

I sit down at my desk in faction history, near the back. I silently copy down the notes on the board, today on erudite. my father despises the erudite. I know they can be rude and vain, but I can't help but see the good in them. maybe I could be erudite. ha. just kidding, I'm stupid, remember?

the day goes by quickly. I barely fight the urge to run to Tobias when I see him outside. i catch up to him and we walk past each other.

I know I shouldn't of. curiosity is a sin. but, I can't help it. "what are you going to choose?" I say, looking up at him.

he sighs. maybe I shouldn't have asked. I turn away and we continue the walk home, past the faction less. once inside the abnegation sector, he stops and holds my arms tight.

"freya, look at me." I look up at him. he's handsome, for a brother.

"I will never leave you, I promise." he releases my arms and holds me close to him. he hasn't hugged me like this since we were small. I don't fight it. he's warm and I feel that safety I always long for.

one thing is certain. he's staying in abnegation. he won't leave me with my father.