Chapter 4: If He Leaves Me

"what were your results?" my father demanded as soon as we walked in. Tobias replies confidently, "Abnegation"

"go to you room now, freya." he doesn't look at me, only trains his eyes on Tobias. I don't need to be asked twice. I speedwalk to my room. later this evening, I'll be in trouble when ms. Bennett calls. But right now, all my father cares about is torturing my brother just one more night. I am about to shut the door when I stop myself. no, I'm not going to hide in my room. I want to hear about Tobias' results, because I know my father will find out. he knows when my brother is lying. risking a beating, I crawl to the end of the hallway. I can see into the living room, but they won't see me, as long as I stay quiet.

"-why your result was put in manually?" he growls

"they said the systems were acting funny today. I got abnegation, sir"

"you're lying to me, Tobias, and you know that is very selfish."

"I promise, sir, I'm not lying."

my father punches him hard in the stomach. Tobias falls to the ground and my father kicks him again and again. "okay, okay, please just stop! my results were inconclusive."

he steps away from Tobias and folds his arms, his brow furrowed. "I knew it... I knew you were divergent..."

divergent? what's that? what is he talking about?

"tell me what you had aptitude for." he demands, and I know for sure that Tobias can't lie now.

"dauntless and abnegation" says quietly.

"well, I know you'll make the right choice son."

"yes, sir"

"I need to get your sister. dinner needs to be started."

"sir, I'll do it"

"did I ask you to speak?" he growls, and Tobias turns his body and looks at the ground. I don't even have time to think when my father steps on me as he makes his way down the hallway. I scoot back and try to run to my room. big mistake.

he yanks me back by my hair and I cry out in pain as he throws me against the wall.

at that moment, the phone rings. ms. Bennett. I'm already in trouble. I don't need anymore punishment. I hope my father understands. wait, he won't of course, he doesn't have feelings.

he releases me and I fall to the ground. he picks up the phone, and as if nothing has happened, he asks, "hello?"

small pause.

"what is the matter?"

Long pause. if looks could kill , I'd be dead about ten times.

"I'm so sorry to have caused you concern. I'll be sure she studies tonight."

he gives me an evil grin, "okay thank you. have a nice evening."

he doesn't say a word to me as he unloops his belt... no ... no...

the first blow hits me hard in the face, the rest going down my body and abdomen, down my legs... I'm shrieking in pain...

in seconds, Tobias runs in and covers me, just as my mother did for him those 7 years ago. my father beats Tobias, and he saves me by pushing me toward my room. I run in without a second doubt.

Tobias will be almost dead tonight. if I was him, I would be leaving tomorrow. no, he can't leave me. I cry and cry into my pillow, only stopping to inspect the forming bruises. first My mother left me when I was just a little kid, and now my brother will leave me with this monster. what will I do without him jumping in to save me all the time, take the blame for what I do, and comfort me when I am almost broken.

he can't leave me... he can't