Chapter 11: Sometimes Choices Make You

It's 6 PM, and I still haven't gone home. I've been hiding in one of the alleyways in the city, in the proximity of the Hub. How could this night be determining my future? There was no changing my mind after this. The wind has picked up speed now, and I wrap my sweater more tightly around myself, hoping it will make a difference.
I'm grateful when I see a crowd of people heading towards the Choosing Ceremony, as I can blend it without any confrontation.
My father hadn't gone after me. The last time I was going to see him would be tonight. And I wouldn't even have to sit by him since he was going to be calling out the names.
I got up and walked silently into the crowd, satisfied with my attempt of blending in.
Caleb and Beatrice were slightly behind me, so I stepped out politely to the side so that I could walk next to them.
"Hello," I meekly started another boring conversation.
"Hello Freya. How are you?" Beatrice smiled.
"Fine, and you?"
"I'm fine thank you."
Things got awkward real fast. I looked away and thought about how dry all of my conversations were. I mean, even if I had a decent personality no one would ever know, as I'm always hidden underneath Abnegation customs. I'm leaning towards Dauntless. Yes, I know. Full of the crazy maniacs- tattoos and all. All I know is that I cannot continue living this way.
~
The ceremony is going by fast- and so is my name, alphabetically. I was sweating like a pig, finding myself wiping my hands on my dress. So far, everyone here had stayed in their factions.
My father kept glancing at me. I saw nothing in his cold eyes. Just a shell of a man here, a man in a mask. He couldn't show his true colors. Couldn't beat the crap out of me like he would like to.
The kid next to me is up there, and I watch him choose to stay in Erudite.
I'm next. In these next thirty seconds, at the most, my life was decided. My heart felt like it was beating out of my chest. I couldn't-
"Freya Eaton", I hear my father boom in his monotone voice used at public events.
I got up, and padded my feet up to him. My first thought was to avoid eye contact with him at this point. But there was nothing he could do to hurt me. I snatched the knife out of his hand and stared at him straight in the eyes.
The Dauntless coals were less than a foot away now. I sliced the palm of my hand effortlessly, not even caring about the pain. Hesitantly, I lifted my arm above the bowl, turning around to stare at my father more, my eyes locking with his as a single drop of blood sizzled on the coals.
His eyes widened a bit, and I heard him make almost a squealing sound with his throat. He then cleared it, composing himself and declaring the word "Dauntless."
I breathed a sigh of relief, handing him the knife back with a glare. Nobody could control me now.