Chapter 2

The day goes on without a hitch, Ruby keeps spotting Billy all around the school but he never comes up to her.

Kit gets picked up by Jonathan again and Ruby drives to one of the small diners that she works at.

"Ruby, there's a new customer. Can you get his order?" Jessie, her co-worker, asks. "Just a heads up, but he's killer hot."

Ruby chuckles and grabs a menu.

"Welcome to Dorothy's Diner, what can I-" Ruby cuts herself off when she sees who the customer is.

"What's up, sweetcheeks?" Billy asks and Ruby sighs, trying to keep the emotion out of her voice.

"My name is Ruby and I'll be your waitress this afternoon." Ruby continues, trying to keep her eyes from filling up with tears.

"You're pretending like you don't know me? Because your friend behind the counter looks like she'd like to really know me."

Ruby doesn't smile and just blinks.

"What's the matter, sweetcheeks?"

"Why are you here, Hargrove?"

"To get some food?" He smirks and Ruby scoffs.

"Why here though?"

"Why not?" Billy smiles lazily. "You don't look happy?"

"Yeah, because now you know where I work, you're going to bring Tommy and Carol and the whole gang to laugh at me and push me around right? It's not the first time that's happened, so just kindly fuck off."

Ruby turns to walk away but a hand grabs her wrist. She hisses when Billy presses into the bruises from her father.

Billy frowns when he hears her in pain. He scoots over and gently pulls her into the booth.

"Billy, cut it out. I have to get back to work."

Billy holds her arms above the wrists in one hand and pulls her sleeves up. When he sees the hand shaped bruises on her wrists, Ruby looks away, making sure that her hair is covering her face.

"Billy, I need to get to work."

Billy looks at her and notices how she's avoiding his gaze.

More gently than she could have imagined him to be, he carefully moves her hair out of the way.

Ruby looks down and Billy gapes at the concealed gash on her face and still swollen lip.

"Look, it's nothing." Ruby says and tries to get up.

"Who did this to you?" Billy growls, his jaw clenching.

"Billy, I-" Ruby tries to stop him.

"Ruby, tell me who hurt you."

"I can't."

"Ruby-"

"Billy, please. Just let it go." Ruby begs and Billy sighs.

"I'm only dropping it for now."

"Thank you. So what can I get you?"

Billy orders some food and Ruby brings it over to him.

He stays until her shift has finished and when she walks out in her normal clothes, Billy stands up, throwing a few bills on the table.

Ruby walks out to her car and Billy follows her.

"Billy, why are you following me?"

"I want to see your place, sweetcheeks." Billy smirks and Ruby rolls her eyes.