Chapter 9

The four of them make their way back to the Henderson's but it gets dark while they drive.

The drive is mostly silent until Steve starts to ask about the Demogorgon.

"Wait a sec. How big?" Steve asks and Ruby jolts awake after having fallen asleep in her seat.

Dustin leans forward between the front two seats to show how big Dart was. "First it was like that." He has his fingers about a few inches apart.

"Now he's like this." Dustin holds his hands up to show the bigger size.

"I swear to God, man, it's just some little lizard, okay?" Steve sighs.

"It really isn't Steve." Ruby sighs.

"It's not a lizard." Dustin argues and Kit agrees.

"How do you know?"

"How do we know if it's not a lizard?" Kit repeats, looking a little incredulous.

"Yeah! How do you know it's not just a lizard?"

"Because his face opened up and he ate my cat." Dustin replies and Steve then seems like he believes them a bit more.

Steve pulls into the drive and they all get out.

Dustin, Kit and Steve get his bat from the boot while Ruby checks the house for Mrs. Henderson.

There's a blinking light on the message machine and Ruby plays it. Apparently, she's going to stay over at someone's house so she can keep looking for Mews tomorrow and she asked if Ruby can stay over and take care of Dustin.

Ruby calls back but no one picks up so she leaves a message saying she'll stay with Dustin.

Ruby and Kit hold flashlights pointing towards the shelter and Steve looks at it. Ruby can see the slight anxiety on his face and she puts a hand on his shoulder.

They're all quiet for a moment before Steve speaks.

"I don't hear shit." He says and Ruby sighs.

"He's in there." Dustin and Kit say at the same time and then frown at each other.

Steve hits on the door twice but nothing happens.

"All right, listen, kid." Steve says, pointing his flashlight in Dustin's face. "I swear, if this is some sort of Halloween prank, you're dead. All right?"

"Steve, it's not. I promise you, I helped put that thing in there." Ruby assures him, but it seems weird to be assuring him that a monster is in the shelter instead of saying there's no such thing.

"It's not a prank. Get it out of my face." Dustin says, pushing Steve's flashlight away.

"You got a key for this thing?"

Ruby pulls the key out and unlocks the cellar and the boys point their torches down but they can't see anything.

"He must be further down there. I'll stay up here in case he tries to escape." Dustin says and Kit nods in agreement.

"I'll go with you." Ruby says but Steve refuses.

"You're already injured and you're unarmed."

Steve sighs and cautiously walks down the stairs into the cellar.

"You're injured?" Dustin asks, turning to Ruby.

Ruby sighs and instead of explaining, she just lifts her shirt to show the bruises that are slowly changing colours.