12

•••••

°°°°°

Sweat pored down her back as she focused on trying to bring up the force field. Brandon sat opposite of her and was tossing small pebbles at her to see if she could deflect them.

She had told him about the force field after she had finished her tests. He wanted to help her be able to use it in case she needed it but she was struggling immensely to bring it forth again.

Frustration gripped her as she slapped away the latest pebble he had tossed.

"It's not working, Brand. I know you really wanted it to but I just cannot. Perhaps it was just a fluke." She said sullenly.

Brandon stood and put out his hand to her. She took it and he pulled her straight into his arms.

"You can't give up, darlin'. We'll figure this out. Mayhap the people comin' will know what to do." He murmured into her hair.

She sighed against his chest and pushed against him a bit. He let her go reluctantly.

"There's something else I wanted to speak to you about. Word has gotten around about who I am. It has been more unpleasant now that everyone treats me like some sort of goddess than before when everyone just disliked me."

Brandon narrowed his eyes at her.

"Who says they don't like you?" He asked with irritation.

She waved his comment away and shrugged.

"You forget that I can hear them. Besides, it doesn't matter. Now most of them are afraid of me or too amazed to speak to me. Except Walter and Emma." She explained.

Brandon's lip curled at her use of his gamma's first name.

"It doesn't matter what they think. They'll do as I say and they'll respect you." He growled out.

She rolled her eyes at his protectiveness and shoved him. He grabbed her hand and tugged her to walk with him back to the pack grounds.

They took the scenic route back to enjoy each others company alone. Brandon was sharing his stories about his childhood, when a horn blew in the distance. Leo turned to Brandon questioningly. His own eyes were wide and he let go of her hand to start taking his clothes off in a hurry.

"Brandon Reece! What are you doing?!" She Leo exclaimed in surprise and blushed.

Brandon had gotten his shirt, hat, boots, and gun belts off. He paused and looked her in confusion.

"We got to go back to the pack cabin quick. The master shifter is there. The fastest way is for me to shift and you can hitch a ride on my back. Shifting now would mean I rip my clothes. Would you mind holding my articles, darlin'?" He said in a rush.

Relizing that he wasn't trying anything romantic, Leo jumped to help grab his things. She looked up just as he was undoing his pants.

She should have looked away.

He had removed his pants and was folding them. Her lips parted slightly as she looked upon his lean, muscular body. Her eyes traveled down his body and stopped at his manhood. She pulled in a breath. Her eyes darted to his legs in an attempt to calm her racing heart. His legs were a bit hairier the rest of his body. He turned to the side and she got a good view of his backside as well. Which her eyes drank in. An odd sound between a grunt and a growl brought her attention to his face.

His eyes were yellow and he looked as if he was straining not to pounce.

"Any other time I'd be mighty fine with letting you look at me, honey. But right now if you don't stop, we're gon' be bonded mates and in a heap 'o trouble for keeping those fine people waiting." He said in a husky tone.

She gulped and turned her back to him immediately.

"Sorry, Brand." She said sheepishly.

"S'okay, Leo. I'm gonna shift."

She heard the sound of bones breaking and she turned in time to see him change. It was nothing short of magic in her mind. Horrific and yet amazing. His arms and legs bent at angles not natural to humans. His face elongated. He sprouted fur all over and grew to a much larger size. Until a large black wolf with a white blaze stood where a man had been mere moments ago. The wolf looked at her and barked. She snapped out of her daze and walked over to him. Brandon layed down and looked at her expectantly. She tucked his things under her arm and pulled herself up onto him by his fur. Once she was astride him, she moved his items between her body and his to keep them safe. She leaned down as he stood and grabbed his fur on his neck firmly. He sprinted off towards the pack grounds while she held on for dear life.

Wind whipped her hair around her and the forest flew by at a dizzying pace. At last, Brandon slowed to a trot and stopped on the edge of the forest. She slid off of him and held his clothes as he shifted back. They didn't speak as she handed back his clothes and he hurried to dress.

Moments later, he rushed through the gates with her at his heels. Together they made their way through the property and passed many shifters. Shifters ran to get out of their way and stared at her as she went by. Some even bowed. She tried not to focus on it as she followed him to the main house and to the stairway entrance that led to the war room. Before they went down the stairs, Brandon stopped her.

"There will be many different beings down there. Be prepared." He warned.

He started leading her down. Her nostrils flared as she took in many different scents. They were not halfway down the stairs when an intoxicating aroma hit her. It was crisp apples and honey. Then lemongrass and eucalyptus. She stopped. Brandon turned when he realized she was no longer following. He grabbed her hand and tugged her to keep going but she resisted.

"Brand, what kind of food do they have down there? It smells amazing." She said with a slight smile.

Brandon sniffed the air and growled softly. He didn't reply but turned and pulled her along. She frowned at his mood change but followed without comment. They entered the room and the alluring scent intensified. It was so overpowering that she could barely think straight as Brandon led her to the table. She used all her strength to hone in on all the beings sitting around the table. Small things zoomed by her head and she realized they were fairies as they settled atop other being's shoulders.

At last they reached the table and Brandon guided her out to stand in front of him with his hands on her shoulders. She looked around with wide eyes as all the new guests stared at them. There were shifters from other packs, fairies, elves, and smaller people that looked like dwarfs.

"Behold, our ace in the hole. Ladies and gentlemen, meet Leonna Williams. The lost daughter of King Theodre." He announced in a loud authoritative voice.

All the newcomers gasped and leaned in to look at her closer. Many were talking amongst themselves. A shadow from the wall came into the light and caught Leo's eye. She turned to look and locked eyes with the most stunning male she had ever laid eyes on.

*****

********