1

>

>

<

The young woman huffed as she put down the last basket of vegetables she had harvested. She wiped the sweat from her forehead with the back of one hand. Life out in the west was hard and moving across the ocean away from home had been even harder but she was determined to make a life of her own and not one where she had only been known as the daughter of a wealthy family. It hadn't been all bad in England. She missed her family and a couple close friends but the weight of being pressured to marry and stay at home was too much. She wanted more. She also still hadn't opened the chest that was given to her by her father but she kept telling herself she would know when the right time to do so came.

She hoisted the basket up with a grunt and put it into a small wagon. One of her draft horses, peanut, was tied to it. He often helped her to work the field. She led peanut over to her home and began unloading the vegetables. As she brought things in, she looked at her home. She had used part of her inheritance to build her home along with a couple barns and a school for the town she lived by. She had come to Moonlight Ridge by navigation fluke but stayed because of the people that lived there.

She taught ten children and loved bringing education into their little lives. A smile grew on her face as she thought about how eager they all were to learn. It took some convincing to allow a British woman to teach their children. Or perhaps it was the fact that she wore pants. Moonlight Ridge in particular seemed superstitious. She couldn't put her finger on what it was but something just seemed different with the people from there.

She had finished bringing in the last basket when the distant sound of a horse galloping reached her ears. The smell of mint and camp fire. She knew immediately who it was. She wiped her dirt crusted hands on her pants and looked at the town's sheriff riding towards her. She put a hand up in greeting and led her horse to the pasture to release him. She worked to remove the wagon then slapped his behind. Peanut snorted and trotted to his fellow horse friends. She turned in time to see the sheriff dismounting his horse.

"Leo!" He called. "How are you doing this fine mornin'?" His western accent and welcoming tone brought a smile to her face.

He was a very handsome man with dark blonde hair and green eyes. His tall frame was muscular and when he came over to help with the chore of planting, he usually took off his shirt. She would never admit it to him but she always snuck glances.

"I am well. How are you, Sheriff Reece?"

He sighed and put his hands on his hips.

"Other than asking you for the hundredth time to call me Brandon, can't complain."

A soft smile tugged at the corner of her lips. She was about to turn his horse out to her pasture, when he stopped her.

"I hate to say, but I ain't here on a social call. I got reports that people been seeing a big animal in the area. Just wanted to tell you to pack all the animals in extra early and get indoors."

Leo frowned and looked around his horse at him.

"Well, sure. There's always wild animals around here. I've seen a few wolves, bears, and mountain lions. That's why I have the mastiffs in the barns at night and Rem with me in the house."

The sheriff stepped closer to her and shook his head.

"No, not like this. Please take care of yourself and stay inside at night no matter what you hear." His voice low and urgent.

She nodded reluctantly and was surprised when the sheriff stepped even closer. His eyes pinned her to the spot.

"I mean it, Leonna. I've grown fond of you. I've a couple more properties to visit then I'll call it a night. I will come by tomorrow morning to check on you."