36

◇°◇°◇°◇°◇°◇°◇°◇°◇°◇°◇°◇°◇°

Leo had been training fifteen-hour days for months. Although exhausting, it had paid off. She had become quite skilled in wielding her magic, using a bow, and an elven short sword. In the months that had passed, Mal had not spoken of their mind intimacy nor had he tried to initiate it. Of course, he would touch her. Draping his arm over her shoulders. Tucking her hair behind her ear. Holding her hand. Especially when they had an audience. He would hug and kiss her quite enthusiastically. But she couldn't shake the feeling that it was more like a reflex, than him wanting to. Then there was the matter that they could no longer hear each other's thoughts. In fact, she couldn't even tell how he was feeling unless she was touching him. Despite all the uncertainty between them, they slowly fell into a domestic routine with each other. They would take turns cooking breakfast, eat together, then set off for the training arena. After training for many hours, they stopped to take rest and have lunch. For lunch, they ate what the elves gave them together. For dinner, they alternated between dining with the elves and going home to have a meal by themselves.

The alpha and his mate came around too. It started with small talk at the training grounds. Then conversations over meals regarding training strategies. Which led to them sparing with Mal and Leo. Slowly, a cautious friendship grew between them all. Although, strangely enough, that wasn't the oddest thing to happen. Leo had started dreaming of an empty battlefield. A field that stretched as far as the eye could see. That dream coupled with a nagging feeling that something terrible was on the horizon was the most odd thing.

Leo sat on a large flat rock meditating. Rem was laying beside her snoring. She took a deep breath and let all thoughts empty from her mind. Suddenly she felt something. A whisper of a thought. It was so faint that she couldn't make out what it was. Her brows furrowed in her concentration. She could hear the voice becoming stronger. It was there on the precipice of her mind. She was reaching for it when someone spoke.

"Reckoned I'd find ya here." Brandon's voice came from several feet behind her.

She snapped out of her zen state instantly and lost the thought she had been focusing on. She stood with a sigh and turned to face him.

"Alpha Reece. Good morning to you. What can I help you with?" She spoke carefully.

He blinked at her a few times with an odd look on his face before answering.

"Your presence is required in the War Room." He said in an attempt to imitate her formal tone.

Perhaps it was because she had known him well. Perhaps she had become better at reading shifter body language. Or perhaps it was that her growing magic gifted her with feeling energy. However, she came to the conclusion, mattered little in that moment. Her breath caught in her throat, and she knew in her heart that something had happened. She turned and put her hands out in front of her quickly. Chanting the words that she had been taught to open a portal. In seconds, a portal opened to the War Room stairs. She turned to Brandon.

"Come Alpha Reece."

She stepped through with Rem on her heels and Brandon not far behind. They descended the stairs quickly. Briefly, she remembered coming down these steps many months ago as Brandon's betrothed. She could still remember the Master Shifter's eyes as he had looked at her for the first time. She stepped into the wide area where the long table was. Again, her eyes met Mal's. This time, however, warmth radiated from his gaze, and a smile pulled his lips up. Her body pulsed in response, and she made her way to him. She went to sit next to him and tried to swat him away as he helped push her chair in. Their hands found each other and intertwined underneath the table. Leo turned her attention to a serious Glarald at the head of the table. While her body buzzed with delight at touching Mal, her thoughts froze. Glarald looked very troubled. He cleared his throat before speaking.

"Our scouts have spotted the bloodless ones coming. They travel in the thousands. They are about six weeks away but approaching quickly. We must make haste and ready ourselves." He spoke calmly.

"Where will we make our stand?" A small fairy voice asked as she flew closer to Glarald.

"There is a field roughly an hour away to the east of these pack grounds. It is there that we will meet them in battle." He said with resolve.

The silence that followed was full of fear and apprehension. Leo looked around at all the other's faces. She could see that almost all of them believed they would die in battle. Leo turned to Mal as he released her hand. Mal stood and stared at them all before speaking.

"Perhaps they are many, but they do not have what we have. Heart, courage, and most importantly....Leonna. I believe Alpha Reece once called her 'our ace in the hole'. Do not fear friends. We shall be victorious. Tonight, let us drink and eat our fill. For in the coming days, we will spend much time discussing our battle strategies and preparing for war."

The dwarf general, Handour, pounded his fist on the table. It caught everyone off guard and startled several.

"Let them come! We shall be ready for them! Courage, the chosen daughter, and the god's favor shall be with us. It will be an honor to fight alongside you all." He boomed out.

This caused cheers from all. Leo could feel the shift in the room. Fear dissipated into fortitude. Mal looked at her and put a hand.

Leo was looking at Mal in slight awe. At his ability to rally everyone's hope. She took Mal's hand sheepishly. He tugged her up and pulled her to him. Before she could gather what was happening, he bent and kissed her. All that mattered was Mallelis. The smell and feel of him. They parted, and when she looked around the noisy room, she met a few gazes. First was Brandon. He gave her a small smile and nod, then turned away. Her eyes then found Glarald. He bowed to her. Next, she looked at Tsarra and Orrian. To her surprise, they were kissing passionately. She chuckled and then looked at Em and Walter. Both smiled at her. Brandon howled to get everyone's attention. All eyes turned to him.

"Friends. What y'all say we take this party to my pack house and have that feast?"

Many voices shouted out agreements.

♤□♤■♤□♤■♤□♤■♤□♤■♤□♤■♤■

A/N: it's almost tiiime.....