22

-------

Loud cheers erupted from everyone and the Reece Pack began howling. In the midst of the celebration Leo was the only one not cheering. Time seemed to slow as she regarded it all. She saw Brandon helping up his mate and begin scenting her. Her breath caught in her throat as she watched in anguish what came next. Everything blurred as she focused on the man she had committed to, kissing his mate passionately. Brandon had never kissed her like that. She finally forced herself to turn, unable to continue watching, and stumbled away aimlessly.  

"Lee!" Emma's voice called.

Out of habit, she turned to look. She saw Emma and Walter trying to push through the crowd to get to her. She looked to her right and saw all the elves slowly separating from the crowd. They were all going to Glarald. Tsarra and Orian looked like they were discussing something with him worriedly. Leo felt moisture on her cheeks and reached up to touch tears running down her face. She hadn't even noticed that she was crying. She turned to walk away again as she wiped her face. She hadn't gotten more than a few feet when she heard her name called again. It was Brandon.

She turned and locked eyes with him. There was something in his expression. Not love. Not sorrow. Not even regret. No....it was pity. The first embers of anger flared to life inside her. She was sure it showed on her face because he stepped forward but was stopped by his new mate. She stepped in front of him and growled at Leo. The embers ignited quickly and spread. She could not help but look at them both with bitterness. This woman had just been marked by the man she had been falling in love with. The man she had spent almost every day with for a year. 

The woman lunged. She was lighting fast and before Leo knew it, she was only a few feet from her and jumping towards her. There was a malevolent glint in her eyes. Before she could reach Leo, a huge muscled arm grabbed her and easily sent her sprawling at Brandon's feet. Mallelis stepped in front of Leo. Leo was beyond astonished and said nothing as she watched Mallelis point at Brandon.

"Control your mate Alpha Reece or I will." Mallelis growled out.

At his threat, Brandon sprang forward with a snarl and grabbed his mate. She writhed and wriggled to try and get free to attack Leo again.

Glarald had come close to Leo and Mallelis to speak to them.

"I believe that the aranel has Alpha Reece's scent on her and that is causing his mate's defensive state. You should take Leo away to put some distance between them. We will hold her off." Glarald said calmly.

Mallelis turned to look angrily at Leo and only nodded as he grabbed Leo by her upper arm then walked briskly away. The first thing she felt was the sparks from the bond. Next, ripples of his anger flowed into her, and she brought her mental wall up instantly. He practically dragged her into the forest. Once they were away from prying eyes, Leo fought until he let go. He whirled around and faced her. Whatever words she had for him died in her throat. He looked beyond furious. 

"Did I not tell you to never let him put his scent on you again?" Mallelis asked in a low voice.

Leo stared at him, stunned. How could he have known what her vision of him said in her mind. Unless....Her mouth opened to answer, but she never got the chance. Mallelis moved so fast that she didn't see him until he was looming right over her. He grabbed her and lifted her with ease. She felt her back press into a tree as he buried his face into her neck.  Soft growls came from him as he rubbed his face on both sides of her neck. Sparks exploded throughout her whole body. So many emotions surged through her. Pleasure. Regret. Sorrow. Then sorrow clung to her. It washed over her until she thought it would consume her whole. She let out a sob. Mallelis pulled back abruptly. He searched her face.

"We must take his scent off you. We do not have to love each other to enjoy it. Give in to the mate bond. Allow some pleasure to take your mind off of things." Mallelis said in a gentle tone.

It took her by surprise because all she had ever known was him to be callous and stern. She knew that he was trying to be kind, and yet she couldn't think of anything past the throbbing ache in her heart.

"I cannot." She all but whispered.

"Why? Why do you give him loyalty when he gives you none? Do you know what he is doing now? He is with his mate completing the mate bond." Mallelis said vehemently.

Leo flinched. At his obvious insinuation and because in her heart, she knew that he was right. Brandon's new mate bond would have erased any of his feelings for her. Anger flared inside her once again. She glared at him. Fuelled by anger, she lashed out.

"And why do you care about me suddenly? It was not long ago that you wanted nothing to do with me. Am I not merely a mongrel to you?" Leo spat back at him.

He sighed and rubbed his face in frustration.

"Whether I like it or not, you are very important in ridding this realm and mine of the bloodless ones. I have let my bias of humans blind me for too long. I am not saying that I will completely trust you or that I can let go how I feel about humans in a fortnight. However, this is not about you or I. The fates of both realms rest on us both. It is now my duty to ensure your safety so that we may finish our destinies." He said as he looked into her eyes.

She held in tears that threatened to come. No matter how much she hated it, Mallelis was right. They alone could defeat Cassius. However, she needed to know why he suddenly had a change of heart towards her.

"That does not explain why you are suddenly eager and willing to give in to our mate bond." She insisted.

He sighed again.

"If you must know, Alpha Reece's mate was my intended. Therefore, I have nothing left to lose. Then there is the other truth. When Samara was going to kill you for her mate, I stepped in because you are more important than I. If I were to perish, it would only be more difficult for you and all the others to defeat the bloodless ones. If you were to perish, it would all be over.  Tell me what you would like to do." 

She regarded him in awe as she mulled it over. Pros and cons to this arrangement flying through her mind in seconds. Doubt was diminished as she came to a conclusion. If he was able to look past his hate for humans, perhaps she could let him help her. She pressed her lips together before nodding at him slowly.

"An agreement then. You and I shall work to overcome our differences and become friends." She said softly.

His expression changed as he realized she was agreeing. It was almost as if there was surprise. Then gratitude and admiration. 

He closed the distance and began scenting her roughly. She gasped as he nipped her neck than soothed it by licking over it. He pressed his body into hers. An explosion of sparks radiated all over. She hated to admit, but no one made her feel the way she did when he touched her. It felt good to simply be in the moment. She bit her bottom lip hard in an attempt to hold in any sounds that wanted to come out but couldn't stop a small whimper, when he sucked a tender spot on her throat. At the sound, he lifted his head to look at her face.

His eyes shone gold and held none of the contempt she had come to know from him. Instead, she only saw his desire for her. In that moment, that was the only thing that mattered. She leaned in and pressed her lips on his. He didn't move for a fraction of a second before he kissed her back hungrily. His hands moved to her hips. His tongue pushed against her mouth and she automatically opened up to him. His taste was beyond anything and she found herself matching his pace in order to get more. He tore his mouth off of hers with great effort. His pupils had dilated very large and he was panting. He let her down slowly but continued to look at her with hungry eyes as he moved several feet back. Her eyes went to his lips. They were moist and slightly red from kissing her.

"Take your clothes off." He commanded.

<<<<

>>>>

A/N: hmmmm I wonder what's gonna happen next??