21

*****

**

Leo woke with a start. She couldn't remember the nightmare but it was bad enough to leave a ache in her heart. She turned and saw that Brandon was still deep asleep next to her. She tried to shake the bad feeling and scooted closer to wrap an arm around his mid section. He grumbled in his sleep and pulled her closer. She smiled and allowed herself to relish in the moment before nudging him softly.

"Brand?" She whispered.

"Hmm?" he answered in a groggy voice.

"I should probably go to meet Tsarra for training. My kin always expect me early." She said apologetically. 

"No, stay awhile longer." Brandon answered in a voice thick with sleep.

"I really cannot."

Brandon groaned before opening his eyes. He turned his head and for a moment they simply looked at one another. There was a slight change in his expression before he leaned in. The kiss began as it always did. Slow and gentle. It went on until a small moan escaped Leo. Then in a flash, her body was pinned under his. She wanted nothing more than to continue but she could feel his body straining for control. She didn't want to push him over the edge and ruin their courtship into a premature mating. She pressed against his chest with her hands lightly. He stopped pressing against her immediately and broke away from her. They were both out of breath. 

"I s'pose I can let you go now that we've said goodbye properly." Brandon told her with a smile.

She blushed and swatted at him playfully.

"Behave Alpha Reece." She told him with mock seriousness.

To which Brandon responded by standing, as if a soldier, and saluted her while winking. 

"I'll try my best, Miss Williams. Well, I best go and make sure everything is running smoothly. I will stop by later to see you train." He said.

She followed him to the door and hugged him goodbye. After he left, she hurried to get ready and all but sprinted over to the elves' house. Once she got there, she finally allowed herself to relax. Orrian let her in and led her to a courtyard in back of the house. There, Tsarra had set up many targets and was leaning against one with two bows. Upon see her, Tsarra broke into a smile and came to greet her. 

"Cousin. I hope you slept well. I thought that you may not have had time to break your fast, so I brought bread, cheese, and fruit." Tsarra gestured to a small table with a basket.

"Oh, Tsarra. You are my savior." Leo declared.

Tsarra and Orrian laughed as they followed Leo to the basket. They ate in silence and once they had finished, Orrian took the basket inside as Tsarra began showing Leo how to hold the bow. Tsarra showed her by example, then by having her hold it and positioning her arms. It took a few tries to learn how to but at last she was ready to try shooting. Orrian had come back along with other elves and they had taken up different spots to watch. Leo felt odd having an audience but tried to block them out.

"Do not mind them, They wanted to watch and cheer you on." Tsarra said as Leo readied to shoot.

Leo nodded and drew the string. She aimed at one of the level targets and paused to take a deep breath. She released her breath as she shot and watched the arrow hit the target in the middle. A loud cheer erupted and she turned to look at the elves behind her. She shook her head with a smile and turned back to continue practicing.

"You are a natural at this, cousin. I have no doubt that I can have you shooting a bow like an experienced archer very soon." Tsarra admired.

She lifted an eyebrow at her cousin in disbelief but nodded with a chuckle. Next she blocked out the crowd behind her and focused on training. She followed all of Tsarra's instructions for what seemed like the longest hours of her life. She was drenched in sweat and poised to shoot the bow again, when a horn blew. The uneasy feeling that had plagued her recently returned tenfold. Remembering the last horn, she quickly put the bow and arrows down and turned to Tsarra. 

"Do not be alarmed. It is merely the other party arriving. There are more elves and shifters. I even heard there is a shifter mage. I have never met her, but her reputation precedes her. Come, let us go to greet them." Tsarra said as she led her through the elf house.

Before they got to the door, Leo saw Brandon walking towards them.

"You and Orrian go ahead. I will go with Brandon." Leo told Tsarra.

Tsarra nodded and walked away with Orrian. As Brandon reached her, she looked at him with a mock stern expression.

"I believe you are late to practice Alpha Reece." 

He shook his head and smiled at her.

"Please accept my apology, darlin' but I'm here now." 

"I will think on it." She said mischievously. 

 He laughed and extended his arm as they went to join everyone else. They arrived to see a crowd parting slowly as the new comers made their way through and greeted everyone. Brandon stopped suddenly, which caused Leo to stumble a bit. She turned to him in confusion. She saw him sniffing the air with his brows furrowed. 

"What is it, Brand?" Leo asked with concern.

He ignored her and continued to sniff the air. Leo turned in time to see the crowd part right in front of them. The first person she saw was a woman. The woman was beautiful. She had dark skin and short, brown curly hair. But that was not her most striking feature. She bore glowing designs on her face and skin. Her honey eyes looked at Leo a moment before locking eyes with Brandon.

Then, a chain reaction set off. Her eyes grew wide with amazement simultaneously  as Brandon ripped his arm away from Leo's as if she had burned him. Leo turned to look at Brandon in confusion. What she saw, set alarms off in her head. Brandon's eyes had turned yellow and he was staring at the woman. Leo opened her mouth to speak but never got the chance. Brandon bolted straight for the woman and knocked her to the ground. Then Leo watched with shock as Brandon sunk his teeth into her, where her neck and shoulder touched. The woman cried out in surprise but did not resist. She had even reached up to stroke his hair.

"Alpha Reece has found his true mate!" Beta Stone yelled.

*****

A/N: I know, I know....you were probably rooting for Alpha Reece  😭. I know I was!