20

_____-------

>>>>>>>>>

They had walked to her room without seeing the Master Shifter, but for some reason, Leo couldn't shake the feeling that something bad was on the horizon. At her door, Leo had expected Brandon to bid her goodnight and attend to business as usual. Brandon lingered at the door and had a hopeful look in his eyes.

"Would it be alright if I came in for a spell?" He asked.

Leo nodded and let him in. She wasn't sure if the butterflies in her stomach were a good sign or bad omen.

"Well, Mr. Reece. I have not had the pleasure of your company for quite some time." Leo said as she looked around for Rem.

"If you're lookin' for the dog, you won't find 'im. Walter and his mate felt bad that he might be cooped up in here so they took 'im out. I'm sure he's out having a good time with everyone. I'll mind link them to keep 'im with them tonight if that's okay with you."

"Oh? and why would Rem need a sitter tonight?"

"Because I've been missing you and I'd like to spend a night with my intended before she has to start weapon training." Brandon said as he pulled her into a hug.

"Will the training be that bad?" Leo asked with a mock wince.

Brandon laughed and kissed her. His slow kiss set the butterflies fluttering wildly in her stomach. He pulled away just before the kiss turned more serious. His pupils had dilated and he took a step back as they both caught their breath. 

"Sorry, Leo but I gotta show some restraint. Otherwise you'll end up as more than my intended tonight. I hoped we could spend our time getting to know each other more. Such as our families." He said with a smile.

"Of course. I would very much like to hear more about your family. I also had a question about when our courtship period would end." Leo breathed.

Brandon's eyes lit up and he led her to the bathroom. 

"It could be as soon as six months or as long as two years. Go on and do your bedtime routine. I'll be here waiting." 

Leo rolled her eyes at how well he knew her by now and went into the bathroom. She hurried to undress and slip into her night gown, brush her hair and teeth, and lastly wash her face. She came out and found Brandon dozing off on the bed with his hands behind his head. Her mouth dried at the fact that he had removed his shirt. She ogled him for a bit as she made her way to the bed. Her gaze went to his legs and she smiled at his crossing them. His boots were by the door. Again, that had been one of her house rules and she was pleased to see that he remembered. She gently got into the bed beside him and was thinking that perhaps it was for the best that he had fallen asleep. He needed the rest after fighting with the vampire. She laid on her side, facing him and watched as his chest rose and fell with even breaths. A soft smile tugged her lips up. 

"What you smiling about, darlin'?" His voice rumbled.

Her eyes shot up to his face and found that his eyes were wide open. He was looking at her with the same expression she imagined that she had. 

"I thought you were asleep. It was nice to not see any worry wrinkles on your face." She teased.

He laughed and rolled on his side to face her. Then his arms wrapped around her and tugged her closer to him. 

"You ready to hear my life saga?" He asked amused.

"Ready." She replied as she snuggled in closer.

"Well, I s'pose I should start with my parents. Ezekiel and Hannah Reece. Both wolves. They started the Reece Pack. My pa gathered folks that had no pack while he and my ma moved across America to find a good spot to raise pups. Then of course my siblings and I came along. There was ten of us in total. Seven boys and three girls. I was the oldest. Then came Robert, Constantine, Walter, Zachariah, William, and Solomon. Our sisters were Ellie, Susanna, and Maxine."

He paused in a moment and smiled. No doubt remembering all the trouble they had caused their poor parents. A thought came to her.

"You do not want ten children?" She asked somewhat nervously.

Brandon looked down at her with mortification.

"Gods no! That many little devils would age me too quick. I'd be happy with one." He said laughing.

Leo snickered at imagining him chase after children to try and get them to listen.

"What were they like? Your siblings?"

"Infuriating but they became bearable when we were older." He said with a twinkle in his eyes.

"And I gather you were put in charge of the pack because you are the eldest?"

"Yes, ma'am. And seventy years later I'm still in charge."

He said it jokingly but Leo caught a tinge of sadness in his eyes. Her heart constricted. It must have been agonizing to watch everyone around him die as he lived on. Perhaps even lonely.

"Surely your siblings had children if they found mates?" She asked curiously.

"Yea. I've got several great-great nephews and nieces walking around this pack and their pups as well. I visit 'em all when I can. And do believe it's your turn now, Leo. I know you've mentioned brothers before."

"Yes. Three brothers. My two older brothers, Benjamin and Christopher. I also have a younger brother, Benedict. They have always been overprotective of me of course. Perfect gentlemen, all of them. I have no doubt they will marry and be very happy. My father.....he was the one that helped me hide who I was. He and he alone knew. I suppose that information was always passed down on to the males on his side. He had the diary. Kept it safe until I left home. The only one of my parents that always supported me. Then there's my mother. It isn't that I do not care for her. I do, but all I remember is disappointing her. I was not as proper as she wanted. I loved getting dirty. Exploring and learning everything other than how to be a gentle wife. As I grew, so too did the expectation that I would find a wealthy husband. It was all she ever wanted for me. It did not matter if I did not want that as well." Leo paused to let out a deep sigh. "The day I left for America, she would not see me. She locked herself in her room. Although I know I've disappointed her yet again, I cannot help but be happy. I am glad to have met you, Brand." 

Brandon leaned in and kissed her forehead. They snuggled closer. As Leo let sleep take her, she felt a jolt of panic. Something bad was indeed coming.

*******