Chapter 4: Fail safe

Southeastern district, City of Valostra
Lee's house...

"Hello?" A muffled voice of a woman came from the other end of the line, and both Lee and Liskarm finally sighed in relief. The two of them glanced at each other, as if unsure who would even be the one answering the call.

"Hello? Is anybody there? Is this another prank call from the HR department? Because I swear to the goddess of Kjerag I will-"

Liskarm swiftly grabs hold of the radio and speaks, cutting off the misunderstanding from the Doctor.

"Doctor? Doctor! Do you hear me? This is Liskarm speaking." The Vouivre said, glancing at Lee and giving him a determined nod.

"Liskarm?!? Oh my goodness, we've been contacting you for the past 4 hours now!" the voice of the Doctor was that of excitement and concern, making Lee somewhat grateful. "Are you okay? How about Franka and Jessica? We heard the news about the attack on Valostra, what's the situation on the ground?"

Liskarm shifted on her seat, before answering the Doctor's question. "We're okay, Doctor. Jessica suffered some minor bruises, while Franka is in need of caster treatment. She suffered some wounds and lacerations on her legs after our car was hit by a mortar, but we managed to stabilize her for the time being."

"Okay, okay this is progress. I'm glad you managed to contact me, I'll prepare an extraction team of two to get you out of there. Please don't turn off whatever device you are using, we'll use it to contact you." The Doctor said, her tone switching to a more serious and professional one.

Liskarm saw movement in her peripheral vision, and saw Lee waving his hand at her. He mouthed 'give me the radio' so she handed it to him.

Lee cleared his throat grabbing hold of the radio. "Hello, Doctor? This is...Morian Fitzroy speaking. I'm a specialist officer of the VPD, and I'm currently with Liskarm right now. I'll escort and protect them to the designated landing zone once you secure a place to land."

Even though he could not see whoever this female Doctor was now, the surprise in her voice was audible from the other end of the line.

"A VPD officer, huh? Thank you for helping Liskarm and her team. Are they perhaps staying at your station right now? If so, can you give us the coordinates so we can find a preferable landing zone?" the Doctor said.

Lee had a sheepish look on his face, which made Liskarm tilt her head a bit as she observed him. "No, they're currently staying in my house. They needed some patching up, so I'm helping them out of the city. I'll send you the coordinates, hopefully you'll find a landing spot near us."

After reciting his the current location of his house; the street name and address, complete with the block number, the Doctor finally responded.

"Thank you so much for helping our operators. I will call back after an hour, we'll tell you if we find a suitable landing zone in your area."

"Don't mention it, Doc. We'll wait for further instructions. Morian, out." Lee responded and clicked the screen of the radio, before exhaling hard.

He places the device on the table and yawns loudly, stretching his impressively long legs and arms until he feels a great numbing sensation spreading over his body as the joints popped and his muscles relaxed. He was already feeling tired after all the shit that happened earlier today.

"Hey, that was some good communicating skills there. Not everyone makes the Doctor sound like their friend instantly, and you just did that." Liskarm says and leans forward, eyes fixed on Lee.