Chapter 7: Escort Mission

It's been 3 weeks since Lee arrived and worked in Rhodes Island. He was granted access to a spare office in the fourth floor, which was also near his room. Lee uses the office whenever he researches stuff or fixing and making weapon modifications.

Over the past weeks, he has participated in a lot of missions, ranging from simple scouting operations to blowing up a Reunion base, and other dangerous missions a normal person wouldn't handle. He is currently a specialist operator, and is a member of one of the assault squads directly commanded by Dr. Kalt'sit.

Lee was currently doing weapon improvements on his office when he heard a knock on the door.

"Come in!" He said while still focused on his work. The door creaked open and he glanced at the visitor.

She was of average height and was wearing a blue hoodie. Her hair was pink and it matched her ocean coloured eyes, which were quite entrancing to look at. Lee noticed capsules with blue liquid of some sorts strapped across her hoodie.

"Uhmm, my name is Blue Poison." The girl spoke as she stood in front of his desk. "Dr. Kalt'sit asked me to come here."

Lee stopped his work and stared at her for a second. He noticed blue spots on her neck and can't help the feeling why she's called that way. But why would Kalt'sit send someone to pick him up?

"I see, but why didn't Dr. Kalt'sit just call me then?" Lee replied and sanitized his hands.

"Oh, because I heard that you can also modify weapon parts, thats why I went to see you." Blue Poison said and showed him her weapon. It was a small, modern crossbow.

Since he arrived, he has helped the weapons department on making and strengthening the weapons that operators use in battle. Lee enjoys fitting in with the other oddballs here in Rhodes Island.

Blue Poison handed it to Lee and he took it, but his large hands unknowingly touched her skin. This made her flinch and she nervously dropped her crossbow. Lee had a confused look on his face and he picked it up.

"Hey, what's wrong? Your face looks pale." He asked the fidgety girl infront of him. She took a step back away from him.

"H-Haven't you heard the rumours about me? Shouldn't you be more cautious to avoid skin contact?" Blue Poison whispered in a low voice. Lee narrowed his eyes and stared at her, a look of sadness spreading on her eyes. Something clicked on the back of his mind.

"Ah, I see. So that's what it is." he muttered. "I did heard about some rumor that a certain operator was poisonous and got branded as an outcast but," Lee said and approached her, gently grabbing her hand and holding it, earning a confused look from Blue Poison. "See? I ain't dying right? You need to persuade them that you aren't deadly." He let go of her hand afterwards and returned to the weapon on his table.

"It's pointless... I've tried making friends since I arrived here but no one wants to approach me." Blue Poison lowered her head and sighed. Then an idea came up to his mind.

"Then I'll help. I don't have that much friends too, and I'm also an outcast like you, so I don't mind being your friend." He replied and gave her a reassuring smile.

"Eh? Aren't you afraid?" Blue Poison asked, hesitation was present in her tone.

"Well, even though your name sounds poisonous, you actually aren't."

Blue Poison eyed him before genuinely flashing him a smile. "You're a weird one Lee." He thought he saw a slight blush form on her pale cheeks.

"Ha, I get that a lot." Lee snorted and finished modifying her weapon. "So? How do you think? I tightened the string and changed a couple of screws. It should fire your projectiles a lot faster than before. And also, I changed the trigger so you'll only feel a slight recoil." Lee said and handed her crossbow back.