Chapter 24: Pandemonium

The wind seemed to die down as Anastasia was drowned in her thoughts. She stood still after Lucia mentioned that name.

Vera.

She has heard a lot of things about this woman.

A construct with an enigmatic and elusive behavior. Rumors has it, that, in every team she's being assigned to, she would be the only one to return alive. She's the core and leader of the Cerberus squad, an experimental squad created for long-range connection technology.

The way she does things are harsh and brutal, making her a controversial character within the ranks of Babylonia. She treats her teammates as nothing but tools and fodder, and oftentimes sees them as garbage. And since she's a part of the Purifying Force, constructs tend to be afraid of her.

Still, Anastasia's judgement isn't clouded to the point that she would ignore a call from one of their own.

Based on what Lucia said and her current knowledge on Vera, she would often disrupt others for the sake of her own gain.

That's the type of person she is. Unfortunately for her, Anastasia has already brought up countermeasures if ever that happens.

After pondering for a bit, Anastasia made up her mind. "I'm sorry Lucia, but I'll be taking the call. Don't worry, I know what I'm doing." She pats Lucia's head to soothe her, and this seemed to work.

After recalibrating the connection a bit, Liv finally made contact with the caller.

A fuzzy image formed from the blue particles of the hologram. Soon after, a woman wearing a beret with crimson red hair came to view.

"This is Anastasia Svetlana, Commandant of Gray Raven. State your business, Vera." said Anastasia as she kept a calm and collected profile.

There was static at first, followed by a soft chuckle. "Oh? A new Commandant? Whatever happened to the old one? Let me meet you in person sometime." Vera said with a smug face.

"Ah, whatever, that's not what I wanted to talk about in the first place." Vera added with a grin and pointed at Lucia.

"I wanted to have a little chat with you, my dear Lucia."

Anastasia glanced at Lucia and motioned for her to come forward. She seemed a bit hesitant at first, but ultimately sighed in agreement.

"Why me? Aren't you just planning to bother our Commandant?" Lucia asked in a frustrated voice. Vera laughed, which made Lucia more annoyed. Anastasia swore she saw a tick mark form on Lucia's forehead.

"Oh, I did want to bother her, since she's interesting. But this is far more important than that" The smugness on Vera's face disappeared, and was replaced by a serious look.

"I've received a direct order from Commander Nikola to participate in this mission."

Lucia, after hearing this, scoffed at her and crossed her arms. Anastasia and the rest only watched in the sidelines.
"So? Is this your way of mocking us and telling that you'll get on our way again?"

"Sorry dear, an order's an order. I can't go against that. I know that this mission is hard." Vera replied.

Just as Lucia was about to say something, the crimson haired lady cut her sentence off, seemingly reading the other party's thoughts.

"And before you play the, 'it's the same incident that happened to Kamui' card, I'm telling you in advance. It's not."

Lucia narrowed her eyes at the crimson haired lady on the screen. On normal occasions, Vera would just trick them and cut the connection off. This time however, they went past the two minute mark of their normal conversation.