Chapter 36: Revolt

In a shitty, snow capped forest.

Lee's legs yelled for him to give up, but he ignored the pain. The numbing sensation on his back was beginning to subside, as well as the after effects of the injury. Vital fluids have already stopped emerging from the wound, staining his dirtied t-shirt into an ugly mess. He turns his head sideways one last time, trying to see if anyone was pursuing them.

"Hey, let's stop for a bit. Your vital signs are a mess." Vera broke the silence, making him avert his attention towards her. As a not-so-ordinary support-type construct, she had just finished scanning his frame for the damages he received earlier, and what she saw shocked her.

His body was enhanced almost three times that of a normal construct. Under the synthetic skin is titanium alloy that acts as protection to his body. She was surprised that he even survived that lethal shot. She knew that if she was hit in those two spots, she would be really dead. That is, if they won't recover her inver-device.

"Lee, put me down. Let's just wait for Thana and the others to go pick us up."

Lee sighs exasperatingly before slowing to a walk. He finds a good spot with enough cover, and seeing that there were enough trees, he puts Vera down in the ground.

"Goddamn, my back hurts." he grunts as he plops down on the snow beside her. He grabs the plasma pistol from her hand and gives her his kriss knife instead.

"You're more proficient in using cold weaponry right? I'll use this one then. There's a high chance we're not alone in this forest, so stay alert."

He checks the remaining plasma bullets on the cartridge, which won't even last for a good ten minutes if ever they get engaged in a firefight. He lets out a heavy breath, tapping the wounded part of his chest. The explosive projectile only blew a tiny dent, but the shrapnel grazed his face. He traces a fresh scar across his cheek, feeling the line and bump on the skin.

The virus inside him was slowly building up again, but he feels a bit weaker than before. He theorizes that he needs a large amount of the virus to keep him going, or to supply his strength. When he first learned about it, he nearly wanted to kill everyone in that room. Nobody even explained to him what, and why he's being tied up with the modified virus in the first place.

He peels a small piece of the titanium alloy jutting out of his chest, before snapping it away. He tested it on his palm, his synthetic flesh bleeding a bit. If it was sharp enough to cut through him, then it was a good enough weapon to kill someone. Vera flinched when she saw what he did.

"What in the actual fuck are you doing?" She questioned, seeing the bloodied, makeshift blade on his hand.

"I uhh...need a back up weapon. The pistol is nearly depleted." He sheepishly retorted.

Vera stared at him for a moment, before shrugging her shoulders. She fetches out a data pad and taps her transreceiver. "Thana, how's it going down there? I've sent our latest coordinates."

"I hear you. We just boarded the aircraft and are on our way. ETA ten minutes." The female construct responded. Vera could hear the distinct sounds of the transport craft's thrusters on the background.

"How's it going with the other team?" she inquired, referring to the Gray Ravens and the clean up fireteam. Even though Lee was spacing out while staring at something in the distance, his ears perked up after hearing that.

"They are set up one kilometer away from...let's just call it hill 69 for now. All of the Gray Ravens, including the Commandant, plus three members of Azazel team." Thana explained. Vera glanced down at the data pad she was holding, seeing a notification pop out on the side of the screen.