20: Haven't You People Ever Heard Of Growing Some Goddamn Balls?

Gerard and Frank sat in Frank's living room, opposite Mrs Iero, who was glancing between the two of them with an all too smug expression upon her face, and really, there was no question about the fact that it was making Gerard just a little uncomfortable, as they hadn't even met the woman before, but Frank was just incredibly pissed off with his mum, because she was really going to go all out to embarrass him here, and without a single doubt.

"You've done well for yourself here, Frank, they're cute." Mrs Iero grinned to herself, leaving Frank throw his head against Gerard’s side: the older of the two already blushing like hell at the compliment given to them by their boyfriend's mum, of all goddamn people. "So, Gerard, Frank's being incompetent, as usual, so tell me about yourself."

"I'm not incompetent." Frank protested, looking up at his mum with an angry kind of pissed off toddler pout, and Gerard fucking snorted, which earned them one hell of a glare. "Stop it, that's mean."

"Oh shut up." Gerard rolled their eyes, blushing a little as Mrs Iero caught their gaze with a 'please don't start making out while I'm here expression'. "Well... uhh... I'm Gerard... I'm seventeen... I'm... well... I don't know... I'm kind of uninteresting... I do art and drama and those kinds of things, I guess. I really like your son, thank you for not being a horrible person to him about the whole gay thing, because my mum was kind of weird about it."

"Oh, that's just ridiculous, you're still her child, your sexuality, your gender, anything - that's nothing at all in comparison to the fact that she's your mother and she's supposed to love and support you." And it was exactly then that Gerard decided that they loved Frank's mum, not as much as they loved Frank, of course, but a close second, perhaps. "So, when did you come out to your mum?"

"A few months ago, I guess... it was kind of weird, I don't know she was kind of giving me and my brother the whole don't go getting girls pregnant talk and Mikey couldn't stop laughing because he knew, and well, she started telling Mikey not to sleep with girls, and she was a good few years late, let's say. It was kind of weird, but I've known for a long time, and I came out to Mikey ages, like years ago, I mean, he's my brother... we're close, but... we kind of hate each other, but not really, I don't know, it's weird, but I love him a lot, and well, he didn't quite understand it at first, necessarily, but he was accepting... that's just who I am, I mean so..."

"You're lucky to have such a nice brother." She told them, smiling a little, and only coming to notice how Frank had stayed utterly enthralled with Gerard throughout the entire telling of their story after she'd finished speaking, and really, well, it was just cute.

"I know."

"You're my favourite over Mikey." Frank smiled, leaning into Gerard's side, before blushing just a little as he came to remember that his mother was scrutinising his every damn move.

"Shouldn't pick favourites, should you, Frankie?" Gerard winked at their boyfriend in a way that really wasn't appropriate considering that his mum was in the room, but damn, whatever, Gerard had no chill.

"So, Frank, what's the deal with Bert... I mean, you know, I don't like him, but-"

"He was a dickhead to me, started hitting on me and stuff..." Gerard sighed out, answering for Frank, who was just making it blatantly obvious as to just how uncomfortable this question made him.

"He's ga-" 

Gerard panicked, having forgotten about the whole crossdressing thing and why that wasn't exactly the best thing to bring to Frank's mum for just a moment.

"No, he thought I was a girl." Gerard shrugged it off, glancing across at Frank, whose cheeks were really nothing short of a horrible shade of red, but with the situation, it was to be expected.