CHAPTER 9

STILES and I were at the Sheriff's station.

"Oh, what the hell is this?" The Sheriff groaned after he took a bite of his food.

I laughed and looked at Stiles, "I told you he wouldn't want it."

"Veggie burger," Stiles answered his dad.

"Stiles, I asked for a hamburger," Mr. Stilinski reminded his son.

"Well, the veggie is healthier. We're being healthy," Stiles told him as he held up his salad.

Noah sighed and opened his container of what he thought was fries, "Oh, hell, why are you trying to ruin my life?"

"Okay, I'm trying to extend your life, okay? Could you just eat it, please? And tell me what you found," Stiles responded.

"No, I'm not sharing confidential police work with teenagers," The Sheriff denied his son's request.

"Is that it on the board behind you?" Stiles asked.

Mr. Stilinski looked behind his then back at us, "Don't look at that."

Stiles kept looking at the board, "I--"

"Avert your eyes," Noah instructed Stiles.

"Okay," Stiles replied.

"Hey!"

"It's--it's just--I see arrows pointing at pictures," Stiles said while moving his around to look past his father.

"Okay, okay, stop. Fine. I found something. Mechanic and the couple who murdered. They all had something in common," The Sheriff informed us.

"Wait, all three?"

"All three?"

Stiles and I asked.

The Sheriff looked at me then back at Stiles and nodded, "Yeah. You know what I always say. One's an incident. Two's a coincidence."

"Three's a pattern," Stiles continued.

"The mechanic, the husband, the wife--all the same age. All 24," Mr. Stilinski explained.

"Wait a minute, but what about Mr. Lahey?" Stiles wondered.

"Isaac's dad isn't anywhere near 24," I added.

"Which made me think that either "a", Lahey's murder wasn't connected or "b", the ages were a coincidence until I found this, which would be "c". Did you know that Isaac Lahey had an older brother named Cameron?" The Sheriff asked as he handed Stiles a folder.

I leaned closer to read it, "Died in combat."

"But if he were alive today, take one guess as to how old he'd be," Noah said.

"24," Stiles and I answered.

~

The three of us finished our food.

We weres standing in front of the board thinking about how the murders could be connected.

"Now what if same age means same class--I mean, did you think of that?" Stiles suggested.

Stiles and I looked at The Sheriff.

"Yeah, yeah," The Sheriff replied.

Mr. Stilinski paused, "Well, I would've. I mean, I--look, I just got Lahey's file two hours ago."

"Two hours? Dad, people could be dying," Stiles reminded him.

"Yeah, I'm aware of that. Thank you," The Sheriff told his son.