CHAPTER 16

The woods felt eerie while surrounded by darkness. Derek was on the phone with Scott. We were searching the woods trying to find Boyd and Cora.

"You lost them?" Derek asked Scott through the phone. "Yeah, I kind of had to," I heard Scott on the other end. I walked closer to Derek and leaned into the phone, "Wasn't exactly the plan." Scott sighed, "I know, which is why I think we should stick together. Trust me, he's too strong, too fast, and way too angry for one person to handle. We got to do this together." Derek glanced at me, "Look, we're at the trails by the entrance to the preserve. Can you meet us here?" Scott answered quickly, "Yeah. Just got to drop something off first."

Derek hung up and put his phone back into his pocket. He looked beyond stressed. "Hey, are you okay?" I asked my brother. Derek turned and looked at me, "I will be once we find Boyd and Cora and once we get them under control. What about you?" I tried to keep my heart rate under control as I spoke, "I'm fine." Derek seemed to buy it and nodded.

~

The trees and darkness surrounded me as I ran through the woods. I jumped over a tree branch and looked over at my brother, "Is it them?" I glanced between Scott and Derek. "We're not the only ones that decided to stick together," Derek told us as he looked at the trail of Boyd and Cora's shoe prints. "Is that going to make it easier or harder to catch them?" Scott questioned. Derek was looking around, "I don't know." Scott made his way over to me and my brother, "Derek...I saw Boyd try to rip two little kids apart. Are they going to do that to everyone they find?" Derek nodded, "Everyone and anyone."

Derek and I caught up with Scott who had just kicked Cora to the ground. I looked over and saw Isaac move towards her. Derek and I walked forward to make ourselves known. She growled at all of us while flashing us her teeth. I did the same as did Derek. She realized she was outnumbered and started to run off. Derek, Isaac, and I quickly followed after her.

Cora got away as Scott made his way back to us. The four of us were standing there as Scott was on the phone with Stiles. "Are you sure?" Scott asked him. "Yep. Throat ripped out, blood everywhere. It's like the frickin' shining over here. If two little twin girls come out of the woods, start asking me to play with them forever and ever, I'm not gonna be surprised." I heard Stiles answer. "Can you get a little closer to make sure it was them?" Scott asked. "Make sure it was them? Scott, who else is going around ripping throats out?" Scott sighed, "Please just do it."

I was standing next to Isaac, nervously thinking about what Boyd and Cora would do to people. "This doesn't make any sense. The public pool is all the way on the other side of the woods. We haven't tracked them anywhere near there," Derek told us in disbelief. "Derek, they killed someone," Scott reminded him. "How are they moving so fast?" my brother wondered. "Derek," Scott tried to get his attention. "They can't be that fast on foot," Derek shook his head. "They killed someone," Scott said again, "Some totally innocent kid is dead...and it's our fault." Derek sighed, "It's my fault."

I moved over towards him and grabbed his arm, "Hey. Look at me," his eyes finally met mine, "This isn't just on you, okay? We're in this together. You and me, always." Derek nodded and I smiled at him. "We need help," Scott insisted. "We have Isaac now," I told Scott. "I mean real help. They're too fast for us, for all of us. They're too strong, too rabid." he corrected. "We'll catch 'em," Derek reassured. "What happens if we do? Are we just gonna hold them down until the sun comes up?" Isaac questioned.

Derek looked conflicted, "Maybe it would be easier just to kill them." I quickly turned to face my brother, "We are not killing them!" I exclaimed, "Especially not Cora." Scott nodded, "Killing them isn't the right thing to do." I looked over at Isaac as he spoke, "What if it's the only thing to do? If we can't catch them, what else do we do?" I couldn't get the thought of having to kill my own sister out of my head. I wouldn't do it. "We need to find someone who knows what they're doing," Scott explained. "Who?" Derek asked skeptically. "Someone who knows how to hunt werewolves," Scott smirked. Derek and Scott moved away from us to talk.