Chapter 8

Will found out that Magnus now lived in a shabby apartment block. Tessa pushed the doorbell anxiously and repeatedly until a voice boombed out from the small box-he supposed-above it.

"WHO DARES DISTURB THE HIGH WARLOCK OF BROOKYLN?"

"It's me, Magnus," Tessa sighed with a roll of her grey eyes. "And it's an emergency."

"What is it now? I already helped you with your husbands! It's about time you do the same for me!"

"Your what?" Will glanced at her oddly. The unconscious elf slung onto his shoulder suddenly groaned and stirred awake. She deliberately avoided his eyes.

The voice echoing from the box died for a moment.

"Whoopsie. This must be important if you brought your boys along. Come on up," Magnus sounded reluctant.

Without another word, Tessa gestured for them to follow as she took two steps at a time when ascending the staircase. Jem headed up first, before Will finally followed suit after awkwardly adjusting the dazed elf in his arms.

Magnus' door was slightly ajar. She pushed it open, revealing the warlock in a button up shirt which looked like it was hurriedly straightened. And-Will noticed, slightly appalled-Alec on the sofa, his black hair sticking all over the place, resembling a bird's nest. His cheeks flushed pink when he caught Will staring at him.

At this moment, the elf decided to kick free of Will's grasp. It sent a blow to his ribs, resulting in his surprised yelp. He jerked away from it, infuriated as Jem gently pulled him back. Away from the reach of the blasted faerie.

"Where have you Shadowhunters taken Dibbo?" The elf screeched, waving its small fist in the air. "The Accords forbid this-"

"It no longer protects the rights of your kind," Tessa interjected, folding her arms to her chest. A frown had settled onto her features. "In case you forgotten."

The elf was momentarily stunned speechless.

"Real ungrateful, aren't you?" Will pointed an accusing finger at it. "I selflessly rescued you in your most crucial moments, and all you repay me was a kick in the ribs? Upmost injustice!"

Everyone-as usual-ignored his comments except for Jem, whose thin lips curled at the edges.

"Injustice? You don't know what injustice is, filthy Shadowhunter!" The elf, Dibbo spat, rebutting with twice the malice, "Abandoning the fair folk to its own devices after the biggest war in history is injustice!"

"What war?" Jem inquired quizzically.

"Do not attempt to make fun of Dibbo!" It shrieked. "You Shadowhunters are a heartless, heartless race!"

"I don't understand-"

"Jem," Magnus cut him short. His eyes had darkened significantly. "It's better if you don't ask questions."

"For months I saw my own kind dying left and right, without anyone capable enough to save them. The Fair Folk has become the favourite target of demons now without your protection, and we are falling in great numbers!" Dibbo continued, his scratchy voice dripping more acid than Will can ever put in his words.

"You brought this upon yourselves," Alec spoke from the sofa, a frown settling onto his features as well. He got up and loomed over the elf, scorning, "You sided with Sebastian Morgenstern to attack Idris!"

"Did we look like we had a choice? The Fair Folk always supports the upper hand, to ensure that we will never fall victim to the enemy. Is there fault in that?" The elf shot back squarely, taking Alec aback. "I shall apologize on behalf of all the Downworlders then, that we aren't as heroic as the bloody egoistic Shadowhunters who would fight to the last of their kind!"