Chapter 20

It was a mad dash from London all the way to Wales. The Shadowhunters spent the night on the road if they could, and when the horses were too fatigued to continue, they stayed in inns along the countryside and tried not to attract too much attention from downwolders or the mundanes.

Finishing his fifth mug of coffee, Will rubbed at his bloodshot eyes as he fought to stay awake. Jem was faring no better, often catching himself nodding off at the slightest chance.

The New York Shadowhunters however, looked as if they were fine without two nights of sleep. Jace still looked as fiery as ever, his blazing golden eyes fixing on anyone who wandered too close to their table. He drummed his fingers impatiently against the table, as if having too much restless energy to burn. Alec sat beside him, entertaining himself by throwing darts at the dartboard drilled into the wooden wall of the inn. Isabelle and Simon were laughing and giggling under their breath, distant from everyone else around them and encased in their own bubble. Johnathan merely fiddled with the mashed potato on his plate and stabbed at the green peas with his silver fork.

The two Magnuses, Zachariah and older Tessa seemed to be more concerned over the plight of everyone else, not just Clary and younger Tessa. Will picked up occasional words like spinning out of balance...existential crisis...might tear both worlds apart...destroy us all... None of those words sounded endearing, and thus he decided to ignore them instead.

Jem seemed to have something on his mind. He didn't talk about it, though, and Will was too tired to probe further. Charlotte had later driven them both to the bedrooms to get some rest.

"Do you think that Tessa is alright?" Jem said, concerned. "It's been two days. Imagine all the things Mortmain could have done to her."

"And that, Jem, is why I'd rather not imagine them. We will reach Cadair Idris by dawn, and rescue both Tessa and Clary out of this mess. Afterwards, we shall happily knife Mortmain in the back and everything would be put back into order. Now get some rest."

Jem paused. "I heard you, Will."

"Well, and I hear you all the time," he replied with amusement.

"That's not what I meant."

An unsettling silence fell over the both of them, each boy struggling to understand each other. The penny only dropped a minute later, and it sent Will launching to a sitting position on his bed, his blue eyes blown wide with shocked horror.

"By the angel," he groaned aloud to himself, burying his face into his hands while feeling the weight of Jem's gaze burn into the side of his head. "Jem, I-I can't-I don't-"

"Will, calm down," Jem said with part alarm. He reached for his parabatai, but Will flinched away in shame.

"I can imagine how horribly disgusted you are with me. There's no need to conceal the disdain you must feel towards me right now, James, not anymore. Go on," Will closed his eyes as if a great surge of pain had overcame him. "I am well informed that this is not something one can be forgiven for. But just know that I am very, very sorry, even if my efforts in apologising are futile-"

"I have never seen you so despaired," his parabatai remarked, his smile becoming an amused chuckle. "I'm not angry at you, Will."

"By the angel," Will muttered again to himself. "This is getting more horrific by the second. What on earth do you mean by you're not angry at me? You don't anger yourself over many things, but me loving Tessa?" he sputtered. "Unforgivable!"

"Will, you're being ridiculous. At this rate you would wake the whole inn up."

"You're the one being ridiculous!"