Chapter 13

Well, Will thought with amusement to himself. Zachariah was right.

The first person he saw once he stepped foot into the Institude was a very, very annoyed and a very, very exasperated Jem.

"Very helpful of you, William," Jem snapped. "While you were off on your merry adventure, Clary and Simon each got bit by Church, and gave poor Cyril and Bridget a fright-"

"Jace!" Someone called out from upstairs. It was Clary, waving excitedly as she bounced down the stairs and into Jace's open arms. "How did you get here?"

"Are you okay?" He demanded, scanning Clary of any injuries.

"Of course I am. Why wouldn't I be?"

"I wasn't sure that they could take care of you properly," muttered Jace sarcastically.

"We're still here you know," Will pointed out tactfully. "Do stop patronizing us, if not Charlotte wouldn't take it too kindly."

"We got news to announce," Alec interrupted. "Something important."

Jace snorted. "What isn't important?"

"Shut up. Can we all sit down and discuss this somewhere?"

"In the drawing room. But I must warn you-Church is seething right now," Jem shrugged and led them through sets of vintage staircases with witchstones embedded on the side of the walls, lighting up the corridors into a ghostly white. Will pushed the doors to the drawing room open and went off to look for Charlotte.

"Wow," Alec glanced around curiously. "I feel old already."

The New York Shadowhunters gathered around the table and were all examining the room with quiet interest. Jace was fiddling with the silver tea spoon which came with the cup of tea Jem had served them while waiting for Charlotte to arrive.

"Extremely ladylike," Jace gestured to the teacups. "And very British."

That earned a snort from Alec and Simon.

"Want some sugar in your tea?" Jem raised an eyebrow, appearing entertained.

"I most certainly shall. Ooh, get me some scones while you're at it."

"Jace, stop it," Clary sighed.

The doors of the room opened, and a small woman breezed in. Her brown hair was tied neatly into a bun behind her head, and she was wearing a pale grey dress which touched the floor. She looked unsure of how to regard Jace and Alec, although she did tried to conceal that by giving them a polite smile.

"Greetings. I am Charlotte Branwell, the head of the London Institude. You must be Jace Herondale and Alec Lightwood? Will have told me about you on our way here."

Will cleared his throat as he stepped past Charlotte and went to stand next to Jem.

"Er, hello," Alec waved awkwardly. "Nice... meeting you?"

"Will said that you had something you wished to discuss with me?" Charlotte offered.

"Oh. Right, yes," Alec rubbed his temples. "Jace, you tell the story."

And so he did. The London Shadowhunters listened intently, despite Charlotte looking extremely confused. When Jace had finished his speech, he was acknowledged by several bemused expressions from the room. Will's teacup had paused halfway to his mouth, and Jem looked like he had a headache. Charlotte was no different-a deep frown had settled on her features.

"So basically," Simon broke the silence, giving Clary a grin. "This is all just timey-wimey stuff."

"What?" Charlotte inquired blankly.