Chapter 10

Thunk, thunk thunk.

The knives Will flung at the wall buried themselves into the wood. Some did not quite make it, they fell and clattered onto the floor noisily. He wiped the sweat off his forehead and went to retrieve the knives. Jem was poised on the table near the window, studying the journal.

"Is the book an interesting read?" Will asked casually, resuming his training. Thunk, thunk thunk.

"You would think that whoever who wrote this lost his mind."

Will mused, taking the journal away from his friend. "Is that so? Let me have a look."

03 January

Today I found more ducks outside the Institude door. A bunch of quackers, they are! Old Quinn made me porridge for lunch later. And that paining of the angel Ithuriel was staring at me while I ate again. I could always feel his eyes on me, I swear! Wherever I walk in the Institude, I feel that the eyes of the angels were always following me. It's getting kind of creepy now. And I'm having more nightmares than usual. Something's going to happen. I just don't really know what...

"Good god," Will agreed, closing the journal shut. "Is Magnus sure that this chap is a Shadowhunter? It is a wonder how the Clave has not kicked him out."

Jem held a dagger loosely between his thin fingers, aimed, and threw. It landed in the red circle of the target board with pin-point accuracy, the hilt still shaking with impact. Will had been trying to accomplish that for hours, but failed. He had eventually given up.

"I thought that the angel part was perculiar," Jem looked quite pleased with himself, reaching for another dagger. "We should pay more attention to that."

"Right, because this fellow's completely sane. Paintings of angels whose eyes watches you wherever you go," Will snorted. "I wager that his paranoia had simply went out of hand."

Jem rolled his eyes. He was about to throw another knife when his eyes caught a flicker of movement from the door. Will had noticed it too.

"My, someone was spying on us. Do you suppose that it was that blasted elf attempting to kidnap us back to his Faerie land?"

A golden haired and golden eyed boy stepped out of his hiding place, clearly amused. The sleeves of his black jacket were rolled up to his elbow, revealing several runes. Strength, agility, stealth and the parabatai rune.

"I've never been called an elf before," Jace Herondale remarked. "But sometimes people compare me to a golden angel. Or a knight in shining armor. You get the picture."

"Fancy running into you at this hour. I was not sure if the people of the future awoke at dawn," Will glanced briefly at the window. The sky was still dark, and the first rays of sunlight had only begin to filter through the black clouds. He returned his gaze to Jace, and examined him carefully.

"Jace Herondale?" Jem looked at him as if he had met a creature that was the last of its kind, and smiled. "So this is your great grandson, Will?"

"Please do not bring that into the subject," Will shuddered. He hated to wonder who would be the one engaged to him in the future. He barked at Jace coldly, "What brings you here?"

"Why so touchy, gramps?" Jace genuinely seemed curious, but his eyes displayed his glee as he watched Will's jaw set.

Will glared icily, his blue eyes burning. "You are begging to get punched, I assume?"

"Is that a challenge?"

"You ask a lot of questions," he began rolling up his sleeves as well. Jem stopped him before he could take a step to Jace.