Chapter 3

The sky fell dark, and the city outside exploded into bright lights. Will never thought that he'd see anything like this; impossibly tall and thin buildings completely lit up from the bottom to the top, the roads now jammed with those small machines with wheels-Tessa called them 'cars'-as well as the streets now flooded with people.

He sighed, looking away from the window to face Jem. "Can this century get any weirder?"

Maryse Lightworm-oh no wait, Lightwood-had gave them each separate rooms in the New York Institute, warmly telling them that they were free to spend as much time there as they liked, until the Shadowhunters had figured out a way to send them both back to their timeline.

"It might not be so bad," Jem replied simply.

Will sighed, getting up to exit the room. Just as he swung open the door, Jem appeared behind him. "Where are you going?"

"I'm taking a walk."

"You know that's a horrible idea. We're just guests here, you can't just go wherever you please!"

Will didn't bother giving a reply, only pausing at the doorway to decide on turning to the left or right. He chose the right, where a strange sound had echoed from the end of the hallway.

"Do you hear that?" He strained his ears. It seemed to grow louder. He couldn't identify what it might be-a demon? No that's impossible. What could it be then? "I'm going to investigate."

Jem rubbed his temples with defeat, closely following behind his parabatai as they made their way down the dark corridors. They reached an intersection, where the kitchen was located on ther right. He could smell the aroma of food waffling from there.

A silhouette moved in the shadows. Will immediately recognised it, as he lurched backwards with a yelp.

"By the angel, I am beyond horrified," he cried out. "This is much, much worse than I expected."

"What is it?" Jem's own face paled slightly. He repeated his question when Will was still breathing in and out harshly.

"See for yourself! It's a... It's a hideous, hideous, bloody..."

"Really Will? Really?" His friend, having peaked over the wall, looked back at him with a frown, his voice dripping with disbelief. "A duck?"

"First I found out that Magnus might be bisexual, and now there's a bloody duck in the Institude. What's next James? Summoning the angel Raziel?"

"Will, calm down. You're obviously experiencing hysteria," Jem replied with an unsympathetic tone. "The duck wouldn't hurt you if you would just return to your room..."

"You think I'd be able to sleep with a bloodthirsty duck lurking in the hallways?"

"Now you're just being irrational."

A girl with raven black hair and even darker eyes emerged from the kitchen, scurrying towards the duck. She picked it up in one swift motion, shooting apologetic but bemused looks at the boys.

"You're afraid of ducks?" She tried to stifle a giggle but failed. There was a silver bracelet that curled around her wrist like a snake. An odd accessory, Will thought.

He composed his expression. "I am not."

"He's telling the truth," Jem's lips curled up into a smile. "He's not afraid. He's terrified of them."

"That's a first. You are Will Herondale and Jem Carstairs, am I right?" The girl blinked slowly at them. She really had attractive eyes, but never as pretty as Tessa's blue-grey ones. He startled himself again by thinking that. Jem and Tessa are engaged, he reprimanded himself sternly. The girl continued with a chripy voice, "I'm Isabelle Lightwood."

Another Lightworm.

"We're pleased to make your acquaintance," Jem quickly said, when he sensed that Will was about to make a sarcastic remark.

"May I ask what the duck is for?" Will folded his arms with disatisfaction.

"Do people from the 1890's have midnight snacks? I'm about to make roasted duck for everyone."

"That's great!" A voice said from behind them. It was the boy with black hair and blue eyes, who was holding Magnus' hand at the party before. "Start cooking then Izzy."

She flashed him a delighted smile before dashing back into the kitchen.

"Okay guys this is the part where I've got to tell you not to eat anything she cooks," the boy warned. "I'll order Chinese takeaway just in case. I'm Alec Lightwood, by the way."

"Are you two related?" Jem asked.

"Yeah, I'm her brother. Maryse is our mom."

Will cut in, "What about that blonde boy and that red-haired girl?"

"Oh, that's Jace and Clary. We're not related, but Jace is my parabatai and we grew up together," Alec said in a casual tone, starting to walk down the halls. They followed him curiously. "Those two really have surname issues."

"Really?" Jem shot Will an odd look, but he only shrugged as a response.

"Jace started out as a Wayland. Then there was a period of time where everyone thought that they were siblings, him and Clary I mean-Valentine and Jocelyn Morgenstern's children. But we found out that Jace wasn't actually a Morgenstern, he's Stephen Herondale's son."

"Who?" Will stopped short in his tracks, turning to Alec with widened eyes.

"Stephen Herondale. So yeah, he's a Herondale now," Alec repeated, not understanding his shock. "You are too, right?"

"That's not possible," Will breathed. How did his bloodline continue? It should've ended right with him and his sister. It was highly unlikely that his parents would have another son, so that means...

He would get married, and have children. With another woman, that isn't Tessa. It made him suddenly feel so hollow and weary inside. No, no, no....

"Are you alright?" Jem looked concerned.

"Never felt better." He grumbled, starting to walk again. Honestly all he wanted to do now was to lie in bed and drown in his own sorrows. But how was it possible? How could he ever love another girl that wasn't Tessa?

She had been the first thing he pictured when he woke up or before he slept. No, after he had realised his love for this girl who always had her head stuck behind a book, he was sure that he'll never have eyes for anyone else.

Now his confidence wavered. The more he thought about it, the more unsettled he became.

"Will? Are you still worried of you curse? You know it isn't real," Jem misunderstood, but Will was glad. His parabatai didn't have to find out his hidden feelings for his soon to be wife.

"Actually... Yes," he lied. "But I'm fine now."

He walked ahead of Jem, implying that it was the end of their discussion.

----