Chapter 16

"Clary."

There was no response from the other side of the door. Jace sighed, pressing himself against it with his hand still wrapped around the door handle, which stubbornly refused to unlock.

"I'm sorry that I hurt you-"

"I'm not hurt, I'm angry!" her annoyed voice lashed from her room, sharp and fiery. "Go away, Jace."

He rolled his eyes, reaching for the stele at his belt. He touched the tip of it onto the door handle, trying to draw an open rune. To his surprise-and slight exasperation-the rune only folded up on itself and disappeared.

"I rune-proofed it," she sounded smug, despite the situation. "You can't come in unless you find an axe to hack down the door."

Of course you did, Jace thought with amusement. A smile had reached his lips as he momentarily forgotten her anger at him.

"Just let me apologize," he resorted to begging, knocking repeatedly on her door.

"Go away, Jace!"

"Fine," he huffed, banging on her door now. "Don't mind me, I'll just be here trying to annoy you till you let me in."

Clary's string of swearing that followed only made him feel more determined. He kept slamming his fist against the door, even if it was starting to sting in protest.

Unexpectedly, she flung it open, causing him to lose his balance and fall onto her. Both of them were a tangle of limbs as they crashed onto the wooden flooring, Jace pinning her down and rendering her struggles useless.

He glared down at her with his steady golden eyes.

"If you don't get off me..." Clary started, but Jace only shook his head and pressed his finger against her lips, silencing her.

"Don't ruin the moment," he smirked, eyes soft and thoughtful. "Just give me a minute to apologise... please."

She glared back up at him, green eyes burning, but she gave up after a moment of knowing that Jace wouldn't let her go if she didn't listen to him.

"Clarissa Fairchild," Jace said in a hushed and firm tone. "I hope you know that you have been the only one I've ever loved, and the only one I'll ever love. You should also know that it pains me very much to see you angry at me, and I can't bear it any longer," he paused for breath. "I'm sorry, okay? I'm sorry. I just wanted you to be safe. The automatons Charlotte mentioned just now? Alec and I saw them, and we almost got killed. If one of them manages to touch you... I'll never forgive myself-"

He was cut off when she reached up to press her lips against his sweetly, while running her hand tenderly through the golden strands of his hair.

"I can protect myself," she only said, a faint smile on her lips, her green eyes half-closed.

"Of course you can," he chuckled.

"You have a way with words, Jace Herondale."

"I know. I assume that I'm forgiven then?"

"You don't sound so sure," she remarked.

"Sometimes my expectations are too high for my own good," Jace smirked.

"You're forgiven," Clary snorted, pushing him off her. He rolled to the side willingly. Before she could stand up, however, he pulled her back by the waist and pressed her back against his chest, tucking her head under his chin.

"I love you, Clary." he murmured into her hair.

"I love you too, Jace."

----